Chapter 27

I heard Josh's footsteps follow me as I rushed towards the front door, his pace exceeding mine in order to catch up. Just as  the door was mere fingertips away, he grabbed my wrist and I spun around.

"Josh—"

"B, enough." he said at the same time I spoke. "I don't wanna fight with you. I just want my...I want you back. I miss you. If I really don'tknow you like I thought I did, then show me. Let me get to know you. Please?"

I frowned. He was getting to me. His soothing voice was tranquilizing my anger, his soft touch placating the monster inside of me. She didn't want to calm down, she wanted to fight. She wanted to vent. She wanted to destroy. The only thing that could satisfy her was to release her wrath. But Josh was somehow taming her, and she hated it.

I heard her burst, begging to come out.

Lend me a piece of you,

Her cries became louder, more demanding. I fought her away because I didn't want her now, didn't need her. But she didn't listen. A sharp cold zapped through the tip of my toes and I knew what was to come. My eyes clenched tight in paining anticipation. I clutched my hands into fists and grinded my teeth, I felt my resolve slowly start to crumble.

But before much else could happen, Josh's warm hand touched my cheek, flooding my whole body with a pool of warmth that replaced the aching cold.

I opened my eyes and released a breath, meeting Josh's eyes.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

I shook my head. "Fine. I'm fine."

I tried to relax from the overwhelming experience. Ever since Billie started taking over, I've never been able to stop her. Once my blood ran cold, that was it. I would no longer be in control. But Josh was able to stop her taking over, even when I couldn't. The fact scared me, but also gave me some kind of reassurance.

"So, what do you say?" Josh asked.

I met his eyes, allowing a smile to creep onto my lips.

"How could I say no?"

His face changed and a grin stretched his lips. He pulled me into his arms and trapped me in his embrace.

"Thank you." He squeezed me so hard, I almost felt suffocated. Almost. I let him hold me like that until my phone vibrated against my red hoodie pocket. He pulled away, eyebrows furrowed. I took it out and looked at the caller ID.

Cane.

"Thought you got rid of your phone?"

"I got a new one, genius." I replied sarcastically.

"Wouldn't kill you to give me your new number."

I shrugged.

"Gimme a sec." I held up my index finger before accepting the call and holding the phone against my ear.

"What's up?" I said into the phone.

"Are you busy?" Cane asked.

"Actually —"

"Drop whatever it is and come over here."

I raised my eyebrows. "Excuse me? Who the fuck put you in charge of me?"

"My father after you killed him. Get you ass over here. It's an emergency."

"Your father was a slutty rapist."

"You're a little bitch aren't you?" He sounded a bit hurt.

I rolled my eyes even though I knew he couldn't see me. "You still being a pussy about that? It was fucking decades ago, grow a dick."