Chapter 20

Wind flapped my baggy shirt every which way as my hands clenched his shirt. His beautiful eyes sipped me in bulk gulps, like a drink that quenched no thirst, taking in every bit of me he could find and letting admiration pool his gaze. His killer smile gracing me with the sight of his lips curled into my favorite pose. And I loved it. I never wanted to lose that look. Ever.

And then, he fell. His body dropped from the cliff that lead to a rocky river and I watched the look in his eyes as he did. Pain. Surprise. Betrayed love. Just before his body hit the bottom, I was pulled into pitch blackness. I cried, I screamed, I called for his name to come back. For gravity to somehow reverse and he comes back to me. But the darkness continued to pull me until I could no longer see anything.

I gasped loudly and my eyes flew open, looking at the curtain being pushed and pulled gently by a soft wind. Heat filled my entire body, my heart clenching tightly and my eyes wet and watery. They remained wide in fear and surprise.

I was scared. Terrified. Everytime I tried to shut my eyes, I only thought of Josh's hands on mine for the last time before he fell away from me. I only saw the look on his face that didn't waver in my mind, clearer than daylight itself.

I jerked my head around, searching for my phone. I found it in the same place I had put it before I slept, laying flat on my nightstand. I picked it up and clicked on my contacts, that only consisted of my mother, a driver, James and Josh's number, despite my mother's request of it just being James'.

I found his number and didn't hesitate the least to click the call button. The time read 2:30 a.m. He'll hear the phone ring. Even if it vibrates at his bedside. He has to answer, I told myself. He will. Now more than ever, he has to pick up his phone. If not, I would drive all the way to his house if I have to. Maybe even brag about my new car, tell him how I wrecked the last one. He would be proud.

The phone rang once, twice and when the third one seemed to be passing, I readied myself mentally to get up and rush to his house. But the rings disappeared and his hoarse, sleep invaded voice replied, seemingly grumpy to be called at such an hour.

"B?"

"Josh?" I said at the same time with more alarm. Overwhelming relief took over me and I almost cried.

There was shifting at his end and some groans.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I..." a sigh escaped my lips. "I had a bad dream." I admitted.

"Yeah?" His voice was coated with amusement.

"I could hear you smiling." I stated, my eyes narrowed as if he were next to me.

He chuckled. "I'm sorry, I'm just flattered."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Why?" I asked, curiosity dripping out of the word.

"That you had a bad dream and I'm the first person you called." he replied, his voice now seeming awake.

"It was about you." I quickly confessed before I could stop myself.

There was a pause at his end. "Yeah? What about me?" He sounded serious now.

"You were falling to your death over a cliff that led to a rocky river." I briefly explained.

"Damn!" He blew out a breath. "Did I at least live?"