Chapter 7

"Perfection, precision, poise." Bonnie preached as I effortlessly maintained my posture on my seat. The study room was silent and my desk was pushed aside so that my chair would stand alone. She wanted to see me top to bottom to ensure nothing was lacking. The room looked more like a library because of its size, and there was nothing but the bookshelves with books and the teacher's and my desk occupying the room.

This was one of my last few classes of etiquette and I'm starting to wish it was my last. Etiquette is an elegant subject that holds royal essence and sophistication. But with a teacher like Bonnie, it feels almost too brutal and uncouth.

"You posture is slacking." she stated with a tone of command while pushing me to sit upright to regain whatever is it is that is slacking. It can't be my posture because it has become my habit to maintain it.

"How is it slacking when it is the same as it has always been?" I questioned. I knew better than to argue or do anything close to disagreeing with Bonnie. My mother has made it clear to me that Bonnie was to be respected as if she were the Almighty himself. I try with all my might to avoid anything that could take me to the discipline room.

I despise darkness, loneliness and enclosed spaces. To say I fear these would be an understatement that was dug up from its core.

"...definition of etiquette. Why, I taught you mother when she was round about your age. She was quite the fast learner." I heard Bonnie say when her voice stopped being mere mumbles circulating my ears.

"I assume so." I murmured. Bonnie didn't look a day over 40, yet my mother was. If I ever dared ask her age, her response would surely be; "20 according to my appearance." She wasn't wrong. My mother looked at least 25 if I couldn't say younger. How she does it is beyond my knowledge and maybe I should stay not knowing.

***

The breeze gently swept my hair to its preferred side as I roughly drew my name on the stoop.

"Who's Billie?" Bella asked, looking at the name I had drawn next to hers. I shrugged. I had no answer. I might have lost her. Frankly, she has made no appearance to me lately. I do not even know if she's still there. The only thing I have left of her are the memories of when she was young. When she was carefree. Before her youth was snatched away and made into slavery. Where they had tried to erase her from existence and bring about someone better. Maybe better. Better for the world. Better for my mother. Possibly better for my father, too. And better for Josh and Bella and the Castillas. The one who had formed a relationship with all of these people never was Billie. It was always Elizabeth. She always had the spotlight.

Billie is kept in the dark. Elizabeth is a work of art for the world to see. Billie a piece of rubbish that should either be tossed away or hidden so nobody could see her. Because they refuse to see her. They see what they want to. I show them what they want to. All of them.

"A nobody. She's nothing but uncivilized and has no experience of the real world whatsoever. All she wants to do is have fun, but the real world is going to destroy her if she carries on like that. So, she hides. She has to." I explained with a dash of sadness creeping in. But I didn't let it take over. I would never let it take over.

Bella looked at me as if I had just spoken in another language.

"But she's also a fighter." I heard another familiar voice and turned around to see Tìo Carlos. "She never took no for an answer and faced everything with a determined heart and a strong soul." he sat down between me and Bella and we scooted over to make room for him. He wrapped his arms around both our shoulders as he continued.

"She had a contagious laugh that made everyone around her smile. Her tears were rare, but they were heart shattering to see. And she was so..." he looked directly into my eyes, "so funny. Made jokes about everything around her. And I miss her. I miss my Billie more than anything."