PROLOGUE

The sirens scream for the cars to get out of the way as the police car rushes through, ambulances following behind them. The officer honks his horn, blazing through traffic and trying not to cause yet another accident. When they narrow the scene, they are already in the view of the white car dented in the front. A blue van is at the other side of the road, a bleeding man falling out through the window. Blood is dropping out of his mouth and nose, his drowsy eyes fighting a battle to stay open.

Paramedics come rushing to the scene, helping the man out of the car and putting him on a stretcher. The officer looks around, finding another in his department speaking to a reporter. Once he is done, he walks over to his fellow colleague.

"Officer Hayman." he greets.

"Walters." Hayman greets back.

"What happened here?" Walters asked, flying his eyes around the scene.

"Another drunk driver accident." Hayman explains.

"What kinda messed up dumbass drinks before noon?"

Hayman shrugs. "It's a dark world, I guess. Worse part is, he hit a family."

"Jesus Christ." Walters shakes his head.

"I said the same thing. Hoping to get the bastard arrested so he could pay. Those poor kids have to grow up without their parents." Hayman runs a hand through his hair.

"The kids survived?" Walters raises his eyebrows in surprise.

Hayman nods. "Six year old boy, two year old girl. That's not even the bad part."

Walters narrows his eyes.

"What is?"

"They can't both be put in the same system so they'll be separated. Just spoke to Janess, says there's nothing they could do. Inevitably, they would have been separated anyway, but hey, man. It would have been much better if they were at least in the same orphanage."

Walters nods in empathetic agreement.

"That little girl probably won't even know she has a brother."

6 years later

The wind blew softly as the California sun shone brightly on the children's orphanage. The building overshadowed a playground surrounded with children. Inside the orphanage, standing by a window was a little girl with blonde hair and bright blue eyes. She held on the palm of her tiny hands, a notebook wide open where she had drawn all that she saw. From the grass to the children and all the way across the street to the cars parked nearby.

She carefully scanned the surroundings out the window and looked back at the highly sophisticated picture she had drawn. Then, she drew a flower on the grass, as if that made a difference to the entire picture. She looked back up at the window and turned back to the red BMW parked across the street, and her little blue eyes glowed.

Today was her day, she thought. Today she would get everything she's ever wanted. Today, all her dreams would come true. Today she would get her own family! Today, she would finally have someone to tuck her in at night, read her bedtime stories, kiss her goodnight, throw her a gigantic birthday party, take her to school, catch her when she jumps into their arms and says "I miss you" afterschool. She would have all of that and for the first time in her life she felt like she was dreaming. The door opened silently behind her as a woman carefully entered.

She was dressed in a beautiful black dress that traced her body just about the right way. Her thick brown hair gracefully layed back and touched her shoulder blades, allowing some of it to rest on her front shoulders and breasts. The little girl turned around and waited for her to say something.