VI

Disclaimer: Penthouse story and characters are not mines. I'm just a big SeokRona fan who still can't move on from them ( ꈍᴗꈍ)

Please forgive grammar mistakes and typos. (^_^)

================================

***

"Rona, are you going to sleep here?" Shim Suryeon asked Rona after dinner.

"No, ahjumma. I'll sleep at my home." Rona replied.

Shim Suryeon watched Rona then Seokhoon. Usually, if Rona said she was going to sleep in her apartment, her son would have made a comment. But now, Seokhoon only paused what he's doing with a slightly irritated expression. She knew that Seokhoon always disagreed if Rona was sleeping alone but tonight Seokhoon was quiet even though his face looked more annoyed than before.

"Rona. How many times have I told you, you can sleep here? It's okay." Suryeon begged Rona to rethink her decision.

"Just let it go, omma. She won't change her mind. You'll be tired dealing with her stubbornness." Seokhoon quipped.

"Yes, ahjumma. I'll just sleep at home." Rona felt irritated hearing what Seokhoon just said.

"Then, will you accompany her again? Remember, behave properly." Suryeon warned his son.

"No. Rona forbade me." Seokhoon replied while still in a bad mood, making Suryeon turn her head to Rona.

"If Seokhoon keeps staying over at my place, I'm afraid we will become rumours in Hera Palace because Seokhoon and I are alone while we are only high school students." Rona replied politely.

"Tch .." Seokhoon chuckled loudly.

"Oppa!" Hearing Seokkyung, Suryeon realized that his son was having a problem with his girlfriend.

"Rona, you're not a person who likes to pay attention to what people say. So it's better-"

"I said just let it go, omma. She's so stubborn. She feels like she can take care of herself and discrediting other people who worry about her." Seokhoon interrupted his mother's words while looking at Rona in annoyance.

Suryeon watched Rona after hearing Seokhoon's words. But Rona ignored him as if she knew she had to refrain herself from fighting with him in front of his mother.

"You guys are having a problem?" Suryeon asked both of them. But both of them just fell silent.

"Yes." Suryeon turned to Seokkyung who answered her question.

"Oppa thinks Rona is too relaxed and underestimating the threats that still terrorize her, while Rona thinks he's just too suspicious over everything and thinks he's too overprotective."

"Rona, you must always stay on guard. After all, there are still people who have a grudge against your mother." Suryeon defended his son's attitude.

"I always am careful, ahjumma, school is safe, after all."

"Rubbish! What safe? Didn't you see someone put a doll with its head half off on your desk?" Seokhoon faced Rona and glared at her.

"It's simply a doll, you think that after all that happened, Cheong A's kids could do such dangerous things? They're still in high school after all." Rona replied irritably.

"Ha Eunbyeol is still in high school but she tried to kill you. Did you forget?" Seokhoon's question made both Suryeon and Seokkyung who saw their fight stare at each other.

"But Eunbyeol only pushed me, the one who tried to kill me was your father." Rona's answer left Seokhoon lost for words.

"And your father is in prison now." Rona continued.

"Ha Eunbyeol is still out there, who knows where she is and what plans she has. And my father is in prison but his secretary is still hanging around." Seokhoon challenged Rona.

"Stop it! You guys don't need to fight. Seokhoon holds your emotions, and Rona ... Seokhoon has a point. You almost died before so don't underestimate the situation." Suryeon finally interceded in the fight between these two high school students.

"But I'm still alive, ahjumma." Rona remained standing with her point.

"It's because I saved you. I successfully brought you alive again. You truly were dead by then Rona, your heartbeat had stopped. The doctor had given up. If I don't insist and stop trying, you won't be here." Suryeon was forced to tell the incident at that time. She saw Rona was silent, Seokhoon was also silent, but she watched his hands clenched on the table. She knew this will make her son be more protective, but it's also to remind Rona to be more careful.

"I…"Suryeon heard Rona say softly before continuing.

"I was used to it before. Being in this situation, I mean. When my mother ran away two years ago and I had to live as a daughter's murderer for a year, I experienced things that put me in danger. I used to experience humiliation and mistreatment from other people. Pushed by people? Trampled by people? Injured for no reason? It's a normal routine. Threatened to be killed by an adult? I had it several times. Mr Joo's secretary and Ms Yang always threatened me. I was almost killed by Ms Yang but I managed to escape. At that time I was alone, surviving without anyone protecting me. Do you think I can not take care of myself now? I can at that time and it's for a year, so I certainly can now. I did not underestimate it, it's just that I know what I have to do to take care of myself." Rona gave her reason to Suryeon. Suryeon looked at her determination. She was sad to hear Rona's story, but she was even sadder when she saw Rona right now. She reminded her of Min Seol A, her biological daughter. Both of them were forced to be an adult before their time. She then approached Rona.

"But honey, now you are not alone. So you don't have to feel like you can handle this alone. We are here for you." Suryeon took Rona's small hand and held it.

"I know. I'm just not used to this. You treat me as if I'm weak and unable to protect myself. Whereas I previously managed to survive without other people's help and protection." Rona looked at Suryeon, Seokhoon and Seokkyung.

Suryeon could only be silent, she saw that her two children were silent too.  But she could see the regret on her son's face.

"So ahjumma, please understand me. Now, I'm going to Seokkyung's room and get my things."

Suryeon could only see Rona leave and go to Seokkyung's room. She looked at Seokkyung and Seokhoon.

"You idiot…" Suryeon heard Seokhoon's soft sobs. She saw her son covering his face with his right hand, his body trembling. She knew, he was crying in silence.

"Oppa..." Her daughter stared sympathetically at Seokhoon.

***

================================
Yeap, no jealous and insecure Joo Seokkyung in here.

Thank you for reading my fic and giving me votes and lovely comments. I truly appreciate your support.
(◍•ᴗ•◍)❤