The Emperor's Tower

This would be the first time the Emperor's servant would lead Teal and his guards straight past the Emperor's greeting room and to the winding staircase that led to the top of the tower. Teal's heart thudded in time with the sound of his feet as they tapped on the marble of each step, steps that seemed to continue forever.

A closed door suddenly presented itself as they came around one turn, and the servant motioned for Teal to proceed. Taking another deep breath, he knocked and it was opened. Who opened it, Teal did not know for his attention was instantly riveted by what lay before him.

The Emperor's main private chamber was a circular windowless room with a large, raised bed with four corner posts in the middle. It was the grandest thing Teal had ever seen for someone to sleep on. Four open arches led out to a wide balcony that Teal guessed wound around the entire tower to allow for a view of the empire in every direction, as Jale had described.

Filled with curiosity, Teal went straight to one of the arches to get a better view of what lay beyond. He stepped down out of the room onto the balcony and revelled in the wind that blew through his hair. Stopping at the edge, the stone wall was high enough to rest at his chest when he gazed out. He was facing west, directly opposite to the ocean, and he could see blue hazy mountains in the distance. Mountains Teal had never laid eyes on before.

"The empire extends far beyond those initial row of mountains," the Emperor suddenly explained from behind.

Startled, Teal spun to face him. "It's beautiful!"

The Emperor was still in his ceremonial clothes. Out there in the open, standing tall in his domain, the Emperor never looked more powerful.

"It is," the Emperor stated moving to stand beside Teal, his hand held out ready for Teal to take.

Teal leaned forward and kissed it, the act suddenly so more intimate and promising after the simple Swearing of Loyalty Ceremony below.

"It covers a very vast area," the Emperor continued. "If you keep going that way, you will eventually come across The Lost Deserts."

Teal gazed in the direction the Emperor pointed in. He couldn't see any sign of a desert, there were only rolling hills covered in forest as far as he could see.

"Come, I'll show you the rest," the Emperor stated, placing a gentle guiding hand on Teal's shoulder.

They moved to the northwest. "As you're probably aware," the Emperor said, "if you keep going in that direction, past those mountains and keep traveling for four months, you'll reach Hulena."

Teal's gaze fell in the direction of his old home. It was odd. He had not thought of the place in such a long time.

The Emperor continued to move round the tower to face the ocean. As they walked, Teal also took in a private eating area and lounge, much smaller and simpler than the entertaining areas the Emperor used on the first floor of his quarters. They even passed an open bathing and shower area fixed into the side of the tower. The height of the tower was the only thing that would grant a person privacy. A large tank sat on top of the building, filled with rainwater.

"The south," the Emperor showed him. "Keep going and you will find the Keglar Kingdom." They turned again to face the southwest. "Even further, beyond the Keglar Kingdom, you will find the remains of Crael's kingdom."

"Does anyone live there anymore?" Teal asked in wonder.

"No, it's a wasteland. Those that survived the plague were not permitted to move into the Keglar Kingdom or my empire. Most died out or moved further south."