Kidnapped

Teal left the Purple Jade Palace stifling a yawn, his body now resisting the lack of sleep it had endured. Nevertheless, it was time to start the rest of his rounds. His next stop was Prince Yernal whose quarters were currently a buzz with his men and servants as they prepared for their departure.

He walked confidently into the luxurious guest quarters and watched as the Keglan servants scuttled away, not wanting to be in his presence after hearing what had happened at the Summer Palace. Teal spied Prince Yernal a short distance away in the courtyard garden, on his seat being fanned by one of his servants. Obviously preparing for his journey back to the Keglar Kingdom was not a duty that he took part in himself. A small table covered in food, stood before him, where Prince Yernal occasionally leaned down and tasted a treat.

Prince Yernal caught sight of Teal. A flash of unease washed over his face, but it was quickly replaced by a flicker of something else. He smiled snidely towards Teal as he approached. Teal did not expect anything less.

"I am so sorry for your loss," Teal said with a deep nod of his head. "I'm sure Emperor Rathner will send his deep condolences from the entire Talbecan Empire once he hears of the death of the King."

"Thank you," Prince Yernal said offhandedly as if his father's death was the least of his concerns. "It was not too much of a shock. He had started to feel unwell before we left."

Teal was silent unsure of whether he should comment further on the King's death. Instead, he decided to encourage Prince Yernal's departure. "I'm sure, after hearing such news, you must be eager to return home. Your preparations seem to be going well," Teal noted. "The gatehouse courtyard on the south side of the palace has been cleared and ready for your men to use."

"Can't wait to get rid of me, can you?" Prince Yernal jibed.

"You must be missing your homelands, Prince Yernal," Teal replied. "Your stay has been a long one."

"How about a toast and a bite to eat?" Prince Yernal suddenly suggested, waving to the spread on the table before him. He leaned forward conspiratorially. "For old time's sake, hey? We didn't exactly get off on the right foot, did we?"

Teal gazed at the Prince skeptically, doubting that this was a genuine invite. He didn't want to appear impolite though, and he wanted to ensure Prince Yernal's departure was smooth and uneventful. Teal gave a slight nod and moved to the seat opposite to Prince Yernal and sat down.

"For old time's sake," Teal said.

Prince Yernal smiled and waved to a servant standing close. The man brought across a tray of small round white balls.

"These are a delicacy in the Keglar Kingdom. Inside is a cocoa filling laced with a touch of alcohol." He nudged the tray closer to Teal. "Try one."

Teal picked one up and smelt it. A sweet and alcoholic fragrance filled his nostrils. Curious, he took a bite and marvelled at the way its flavour spread over his tongue.

"It is delicious," Teal agreed. He looked at the piece still in his hand and noted the cocoa filled centre and white icing outside. "I'm sure the Emperor would also enjoy these."

"Please," Prince Yernal said with a smile. "Eat some more."

Teal took another ball and popped it into his mouth only to find the same servant who had delivered the sweet balls, was now holding out a glass of wine.

"I am currently on duty," Teal said kindly.

"Oh, please," Prince Yernal stated, aghast. "One small glass will not harm you. The flavor of the wine mixes so well with the delightful treat."

The Purple Jade Palace: The Hummingbird's PlanOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara