The Hummingbird's Plan

Prince Tolder rolled his eyes. "The Hummingbird. Such an unoriginal name, to name me after the Brandeen family crest."

He dared to step closer to Teal. It was a calculated step. Just a hair's breath away from Teal's reach. He was so close Teal could feel the air escaping the man's mouth. If only he could lean forward and sink his teeth into Prince Tolder's flesh.

"I should thank you," Prince Tolder said with a smirk.

"Thank me?" Teal asked, confused.

"Yes, for delivering my scroll to the Empress, especially after Brelen was murdered by those annoying Talekan Assassins of the New Path."

Teal tried to process Prince Tolder's words, but the man was talking about things Teal did not understand clearly. Although, Teal did remember seeing the scroll on the Empress' table.

"Did Brelen know it was from you?"

Prince Tolder laughed. "Of course not."

"Is the Empress working against the Emperor?" Teal asked wanting to clarify this once and for all for his peace of mind.

"No," Prince Tolder spat, venomously. "She betrayed the Brandeen family! She has always been more loyal to that despicable man."

Teal growled. "Don't you dare insult the Emperor! I will make it my life's work to ensure whoever was responsible for his death, dies a very slow painful death."

"Says the man chained to a wall," Prince Yernal snorted.

Teal glared, and with a sudden surge of angry energy, he lurched so heavily that the hooks holding his chains in the wall creaked, threatening to be weakened. The guards in the room shifted nervously.

"In fact," Prince Tolder continued. "You, my friend, are going to help us take the throne in the Keglar Kingdom by inflicting fear and death onto anyone who dares to try to stop Prince Yernal."

It took a moment for those words to sink in. Teal slowly shook his head. "Why would I do anything for you?" he asked.

"You'll do anything I ask and whatever Prince Yernal asks, Teal," Prince Tolder intoned. "Because once you have helped him become King of the Keglar Kingdom, I will tell you where you can find the Lombock. You want to know that, don't you?"

Teal scoffed. "And why would I believe that you know where they are?"

Prince Yernal shared a knowing glance with Prince Tolder. "Unlike the Talbecan Empire," Prince Yernal started, "the Keglar Kingdom did not destroy all of its materials on the Lombock race. I have maps that show their exact location."

Teal remained quiet. His brain whirling with the news. The Emperor was dead and now he could possibly find the Lombock? Of course, he would want to know where his fellow Lombock were residing.

He shook his head again, clearing his thoughts. There was no way he would hurt anyone to get that information. "I'm sorry," Teal said. "I won't attack anyone just because you ask me to. I'm not going to help you."

"Aah yes, the presence that resides within," Prince Yernal crooned, winking at Prince Tolder. "I see that it has not come forth at present. Good job we have you bound in these chains." He laughed again to Prince Tolder in a tone that clearly tried to indicate that he was not afraid of Teal. "This is where Prince Tolder really comes into it," he suddenly declared.

"It's time for pay back," Prince Tolder continued. "Prince Yernal has been very accommodating and has helped me to gain some revenge," he explained cryptically, "now it's my turn to return the favor."