Advice

The following night, Teal wandered out of the Purple Jade Palace. He was feeling agitated. He found Lana on a bench under a tree, a harp between her legs, back straight, her body focused and in tune, one with the music. He was drawn to the melody flowing out from under her fingertips. It was trance-like, capturing him within its spell and pulling him towards its maker.

Lana stopped playing when Teal approached.

"How are you this evening, Teal?" she asked.

"How did you know it was me?" he asked in amazement.

Lana smiled. "I just knew."

He sat down beside her. It was a lovely evening with many stars in the clear sky and a soft breeze that blew across their skin. Teal glanced down at her still hands. "I didn't mean to disturb you."

"It's fine," she said. "I have been playing for a while so I don't mind stopping." She was quiet for a moment. "I'm sensing that something is playing on your mind?"

Teal glanced around the walls of the Purple Jade Palace and decided to ask a question of his own instead.

"Who was the first consort after Jale and the Empress?" he asked.

"Ralen and then Delba," she answered simply.

Teal found that surprising since Ralen didn't seem to spend as much time with the Emperor as the others.

"So, you were the last one before me."

"Yes. The Emperor didn't take me as a consort at first though," she explained.

"How did you become his consort?" Teal asked.

"The Emperor's mother was pressuring him to take more girls, in case the Empress failed to birth a son. That was five years ago and from what I've heard, it appeared as if the Emperor was putting off fathering an heir. Some suspected he failed to look for more consorts because he was so in love with Jale and the Empress. And he always found it hard to spend enough time with Delba and Ralen as it was. But under continuous pressure, the palace sent out invites for girls to visit the Emperor to offer themselves. I was one of the girls."

Teal leaned forward. "Tell me more," he urged.

Lana set her harp to the side so she could turn to sit in Teal's direction. "I went in with all the other girls naively hoping that no one would care that I was without sight. On parchment, I met all the criteria. What I didn't know was that my father who works in one of Prince Vox's houses, came to the palace to say that I was determined to apply for the position."

She clutched her hands together. "My father begged for the palace to amuse me, to not hurt me but to politely decline my application. Prince Vox spoke to the Emperor personally and told him that it had been my dream to be one of the Emperor's consorts, but because of my lack of sight, they knew it would not be possible. They wanted a consort that could satisfy their Emperor, not one that they believed would need to be looked after at every turn."

A gust of wind rustled through the trees above, but Teal barely noticed it.

"Once the Emperor heard of my dedication to serve him," Lana continued. "He agreed to go along with my application and to refuse me in accordance with my parents' wishes. On the day I was asked to present myself to the Emperor, there was upheaval and shock as to why I was there."

Lana shook her head. "I was so innocent. I thought I had fooled them. I was able to follow the other girls' footsteps. I kept my head down to hide my eyes, pretending to be demure. I was so enthralled when the Emperor asked me what I was good at and I informed him of how I could play five different musical instruments."