Repercussions

Satner's insides rumbled with worry and suspicion. This was the first time he had ever been asked for a private audience with the Emperor and it was directly after the incident at the Summer Palace. There had been occasions he had been asked to attend meetings where the Emperor had been present to discuss matters of security and training, but Satner wasn't the leader of his department. He was one of fifty teachers and trainers in the Empire's defence. Even his leaders who answered to Galton, would struggle to gain an audience on their own. In the grand scheme of things, Satner just wasn't high enough or important enough to be considered to be asked to eat with the Emperor, and for this, he was concerned. The only way he would be asked is if he had done something wrong, and Satner was completely aware that he had messed up.

Satner's insides twisted with nervous energy, and he shivered despite the heat of the day. He swallowed against the fear in his throat that was making him think he was going taste the food he had eaten that morning again. Was the Emperor so furious with him for putting Lana's life at risk, he was about to be sentenced to death?

Another horror. Maybe they knew? Maybe they suspected him of his misguided affections. A flash of optimism, maybe he just couldn't think straight because he had been up all night helping the Emperor return to the palace and all of this was needless worrying. That in itself was a ridiculous thought. Of course, it wouldn't be that simple, not after what had happened.

The Emperor's day servant bowed in respect to Satner's social position and without having to wait, the servant opened the door and Satner stepped through. He took a moment to gather himself and took a deep breath. It would be fine, he assured himself. He had not acted on his desires.

Emperor Rathner was seated around a table in his day meeting room on the third floor below the tower in which he resided. It was a simple room with a large table for discussions with ample windows that led out onto a balcony. The Emperor's head lifted and Satner took some peace in the fact that his face appeared calm and collected.

He reached a respectable distance then went to his knees and kowtowed before lifting his head and resting back on his knees.

"Just in time," the Emperor said in response. "Satner, stand and join me for our midday meal out on the balcony."

Surprised, Satner quickly rose to his feet and followed after the Emperor who was already on the other side of the room. The invitation to sit with the Emperor to eat was unheard of. Only members of the court and his consorts, and important guests ever had this opportunity. Satner followed hesitantly, the dread building up in his chest. No matter how splendid the food, Satner had a feeling he was not going to be able to find his appetite.

He waited for the Emperor to sit and then, he sat in the spot that the Emperor designated, a cushion only two feet away. They sat in silence while two servants laid out a variety of meat, bread, fruits and vegetables.

Satner dared to break the silence first. His nerves preventing him from following the correct protocols of allowing the Emperor to start the conversation. "How is Lana?" his voice trembled.

"She fares well," the Emperor responded, eyeing Satner for his question. "She is resting in her chamber."

Satner let out a long breath of relief. "I feel this is all my fault," he didn't dare lift his eyes, to see the possible accusation on the Emperor's face.

"You were entrusted with the task of ensuring our safety at the palace," the Emperor agreed. "And yes, while the attack would have happened whoever was in charge, I am more concerned about where you were when the attacked occurred, or more importantly, where your attention was."