A Proposition

Jale guided Teal down an underground tunnel that started in the kitchen basement of Cleaven Estate. At first, it ran in a direct line opposite to the path Teal had used to enter the estate before diverging into an endless underground labyrinth of pathways and tunnels.

Teal would never be able to negotiate them unaided. He walked with his heart pounding, escorted by two guards on either side as Jale set a brisk and sure pace in front, lantern in hand, leading the way.

Hidden by the thick clouds obscuring the moons, they emerged nearly a mile later, pushing past a heavy iron gate and through shrubs used to conceal the entrance. The Fortlena River, Jale informed him, was only a short distance further.

Still, Teal was so used to being on the run. He was instantly on edge, his eyes flickering into the dense vegetation searching for possible signs of imminent attack.

They reached the river's bank unhindered. Without any words, Teal was guided along a short wooden ramp. The ship they embarked was not an imperial flagged ship. It was however, large, much larger than any ship Teal had seen before.

Jale remained with Teal on the deck while men moved around in the darkness, all aware of their set tasks that needed to be carried out. Teal stood awkwardly, his two accompanying soldiers only a few steps behind him. He hadn't seen the Emperor since leaving Cleaven Estate. Whether he was already on the ship or still behind them, Teal didn't know.

After several moments, the ship began easing away from the embankment, beginning its journey down the river. A servant approached with a bottle of wine which Jale took without question.

"It's a lovely view, isn't it?" Jale commented casually.

Teal smiled weakly. The memories of Jale's interrogation still in the forefront of his mind and while Jale seemed more than friendly now, Teal still wanted to be cautious.

"You seem nervous," Jale remarked. "I am sorry for the way I questioned you, but the Emperor was clear that he wanted to see what you were like without the influence of the Ashkin poison, and how you would react under pressure."

"Was he satisfied?" Teal asked worriedly.

Jale snorted as he turned the cork in the bottle. "While the glowing eyes were certainly a surprise, you wouldn't be on his ship if he wasn't."

The cork popped, and he handed the bottle out to Teal. Without any cups in sight, Teal took it and lifted it to his lips. It was bold and rustic, and Teal wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

Jale moved a step closer. They were near equal in height, Jale only a fraction taller, and their eyes met easily in the darkness. "Just so you know, I also think what you did for the Emperor was courageous and brave."

"Thank you," Teal replied. He looked at the two guards behind him and the two that had accompanied Jale. "Should I still be nervous?" he asked.

Jale chuckled. "They're just a precaution."

There was silence for a moment as Teal took another sip from the bottle.

"Teal," Jale suddenly spoke. "Would you ever consider working for the Emperor?"

Teal nearly dropped the bottle. "What?!"

"You said yourself there will not be much waiting for you when you return to Hulena, and someone with skills such as yourself would certainly be wasted idling their time away in the far north western reaches of the Empire." Jale eyed him through the evening light, helped by several lanterns that had now been lit on the ship. "You could prove to be very beneficial for the Emperor."