The Blue Garden

"Lucky you," Jale told Teal the next evening. "The Blue Garden is my favorite. It's beautiful. Empress Crael designed it." Jale stepped forward and helped Teal to adjust his clothes despite the efforts of Teal's eunuch.

"It sounds amazing," Teal said.

"Yes, it is." Jale stepped back to admire Teal's appearance. "And you look amazing. Silver suits you."

Teal looked down at his clothes, a shimmering silver and blue tight-fitted vest that matched his hair and eyes perfectly. In fact, they caught the color in his eyes, making them appear even more vibrant. His skin, tanned from his training sessions, gave his face a healthy glow.

Teal glided his hands down his front and nervously looked back up to Jale.

"Relax Teal, you'll be fine."

<<<>>>

The Blue Garden was empty when he arrived. Teal was thankful, for it gave him a chance to take in the scenery.

Jale had not lied. The garden was breathtaking.

The Empress had envisioned a sanctuary lagoon and had made it a paradise. There was a rock formation with a cascading waterfall towards the back and in the middle of the lake, a small island with a pergoda could be accessed by a bridge. From where he was standing, Teal could see that it had tables, cushions and a sleeping area.

"You're here," the Emperor suddenly spoke from behind him.

Teal jumped. He had been so lost in the view, he had not heard the Emperor approach. With his heart still pounding, he quickly transitioned into a kowtow. When he rose to his feet, the Emperor's hand came down onto Teal's shoulder. "It really captures the imagination, doesn't it?"

"It's beautiful! I did not visit this garden when I went exploring the other night," Teal said, tense under the Emperor's touch. He looked back to the lagoon and island. "How long did it take to make?"

"One year. Empress Crael is very talented," he said, admiration and love thick in his voice. "She even helped with the building herself, with her own hands."

The Emperor moved his hand to take Teal's, holding it out and away from Teal's body. His eyes roamed up and down Teal's body. The open analysis only made Teal even more edgy. "Who picked your outfit for this evening?"

"Jale," Teal managed.

The Emperor smiled. "Who would have thought that a soldier I've seen fight up to his neck in blood, would have such a wonderful ability to know how to suit my taste." The Emperor let go of Teal's hand.

"Jale is devoted to you," Teal said as they started to walk down the path. "I've only been here for a couple of weeks, but even I can see that he would do anything for you."

"Hmm," the Emperor agreed. "And I for him." They were silent for a few moments before the Emperor spoke again. "The Empress has told me that you are becoming an adept student at Mocho. I would like to see how you play against me."

Teal followed after the Emperor, winding around the path that led to the island, his eyes wandering over everything he passed. "I think the Empress is being very generous," he said, trying to fill the silence. "I still haven't won a game."

He also couldn't help but stop to look at the flowers and plants along the way, all different shades of blue. There were even blue butterflies fluttering around the different gardens, and Teal noticed a small blue bird sitting in the branches of a tree that was flowering blue.

"This is incredible," Teal announced when they had walked over the bridge and were standing on the island. It was even larger than it had appeared from the entrance. In fact, it could hold around fifty people if it wanted to, quite comfortably.