➝ a changed (wo)man

~ 𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘 ~

-----third person pov

Betrayal. That was all Elliot felt.

She loved Annie, of course she did, but that didn't help to reassure her that she was a traitor.

Traitor. What an umbrella term.

She took a sharp breath as Jupiter trotted out of the square, Annie leaving walking in the opposite direction.

Elliot couldn't tell her about that was going to happen later today. It wasn't her place. But Annie knew what was coming - she knew that she'd have to face the plan of the Commander alone.

Her head ached, the farther she got from Annie, and she felt faint. Elliot stifled a sob as she looked behind her to see Annie turn a corner and walk out of the square, her back slumping and her eyes puffy. She turned away quickly so as to not burst out sobbing.

Her jacket was still wet from Annie's tears and the longing for her that she felt in her chest weighed down on her, causing her to slump forwards, resting her head on Jupiter's back. She let him lead the way and take them home.

She didn't know why she forgave Annie.

It was an unforgivable sin, what she committed, but Elliot couldn't bring herself to blame Annie. It was selfish of course, and she knew that if anyone found out she would be in prison, away from her friends and family.

Was Annie really worth it?

When they arrived at the castle, she was met by Captain Scar, at the door, who was talking to Eren. Immediately as Eren and Elliot locked eyes, he stood up and ran towards her, picking her off her horse and holding her tightly.

She could only reciprocate, hugging him tightly and not letting go. "Where were you?" He asked, his voice barely a whisper. It seemed he was still trying to calm down his anger, as his voice was very hoarse.

"The square." She only said, gripping Eren's jacket and burying her face in his shoulder. He ran a hand through her hair, in an attempt to sooth her.

Scar watched from a distance. They've been through so much, it's crazy to think that they're still trying to reassure each other. She thought, finding the need to look away from such a personal moment.

"Come." Eren said, pulling away. Both he and Elliot didn't want to let go, but it was necessary. They couldn't stay like that the whole day as much as they would've like to.

They made their way inside. Elliot was nervous to meet someone - Levi in particular. There was no doubt that Scar told him where she was going and why. Tears stung her eyes.

As they entered the cafeteria, she was met face-to-face with Levi, Erwin, Hange, and Miche. She hung her head, unable to meet any of their eyes.

"Lio." Erwin called. She looked up, staring into the ocean blue eyes that were the Commander's. He gestured for her to walk towards the table and she did, hesitantly.

"Eren, Scar, Hange, Miche." Said people looked in his direction. "Leave us."

"Yes sir."

Eren was hesitant, but he gave Elliot a reassuring shoulder squeeze before following the rest out. "Ellie." Levi said after the door closed.

She looked at him and swallowed her fear. She nodded. Levi placed a hand on her shoulder. Elliot flinched, thinking the worst, but recoiled after realizing he wasn't doing anything else.

What the fuck? What did she think I was going to do - hit her? Levi thought, confused. "Scar told me about where you went."

"Yes. I went to Annie. I wanted to see her before you do whatever you are going to do to her." Elliot said in a harsh whisper, her protective instinct slowly taking over.

"Hey, calm down, brat. That's not why I'm asking. We just want to know what she told you." Levi said, sighing and crossing his arms. Elliot looked down and shook her head.

She let out a shaky breath. "She didn't tell me anything. She only said that it wasn't her fault and that someone made her do it." Tears burned in Elliot eyes as she remembered it.

She had never seen her beloved cry like that. It was impossible for her to have put up an act for it. Why Annie, of all people? She thought.

"Hey." Levi said, bringing her out of her thoughts. "Look at me." He sensed his sister was hurting and he wanted her to feel anything but. He placed both hands on her shoulders and made her face him.

She immediately pushed herself into his chest, accepting the warmth he offered. Levi furrowed his eyebrows. That woman has a lot to explain. He thought, slightly angry.

"Shh..." He said, in Elliot's ear. "It's okay." She only held him tighter. He looked at Erwin and nodded, letting him know that he should tell her the plan.

-----elliot pov

I didn't want to go be involved with the plan, but I knew I had to.

Armin lured Annie in.

They met up with Eren and Mikasa.

She was told to go down to the Underground with them.

She knew, so she refused.

I was among the people who tried to capture her.

She transformed. So did Eren.

Hundreds of people died as her and Eren fought.

She was going to lose but she turned herself to crystal.

Untouchable. Uncommunicable. Just... there.

And all the information that we could've obtained, stuck in her inaccessible mind.

I'm pretty sure only Levi could tell anyone how much I cried that night. I refused to leave her cell and would beat up anyone who tried to take me away from her. I lay curled up by the strange, clear crystal, in a thin blanket, sniffing and hiccupping in my sleep.

I didn't know whether she could hear me, but I talked to her anyways.

"Annie." I said, running my hand along the rusted curves of the crystal's chains. "Why? What happened?" I sniffed, the emotion in me brimming and threatening to overflow. "Was that information so important that you had to do... this?"

I tried to keep my sobs in, to no avail. "Why didn't you just... fight it?" I said, looking down, tears falling from my already bloodshot eyes. "You had a choice didn't you?!" I cried, my hand forming into a fist, getting cut against the sharp metal.

My blood spread across the iridescent crystal, tainting its, otherwise, beautiful form.

"Please say something..." I whispered, looking at her still face, teary eyed.

No reply followed and I let out a breath, standing up. "You hurt the wounded, love." I said, in a harsh whisper. "Now, only the future will decide your fate." I let my eye linger on her motionless figure, before pressing a light kiss on the crystal where her lips were underneath.

Beautiful purple butterflies spun around the inside of my head and I gritted my teeth.

All that was left of us was a single thread that was our bond, tainted with regret, sadness, betrayal, and loss. It was cut, threading out like a worn out rope, about to be split in half but not severed quite yet.

A lingering pain that wouldn't stop, no matter how hard you pulled on either end.

So ist es immer.

★ sorry for the short chapter, flus are the worst :( this might be one of the lastest chapters of this book!!! stay tuned, loves!! ❤️