➝ sie sind das essen und wir sind die jäger

- you are the prey, and we are the hunters -

~ 𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘 ~

- 5 YEARS LATER -

"OI, SHORTY!" The Commander's voice brought me out of my thoughts. "ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING, BOY?!" I looked up at him hazily. I snapped back to reality and stared at him, bored and confused.

"Yes, sir?" I said, plainly, straightening my lips. Just from the look on his face, I could tell I was aggravating him - I wasn't meaning to, it's just another one of my unintentional specialties.

The man was seething with anger, face turning red, and smoke seemed to push out of his ears painfully.

"WHAT IS YOUR NAME, CADET?!"

"Elliot from Shiganshina, sir."

"ELLIOT WHAT?"

"Just Elliot, sir."

"WHY THE HELL ARE YOU HERE, ELLIOT?!"

"Destroy the titans."

"THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR!"

He took a deep breath and walked off to intimidate another cadet. His eyes caught onto a girl eating a potato.

"Hey... What the hell are you doing?" He said darkly, looming over her.

She paused her munching to look at him. She looked around, questioningly, before taking another bite of the potato. "YOU! I'M TALKING TO YOU! WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?!"

The girl looked surprised but took her time to swallow the piece she was chewing. Afterwards she saluted (with the potato) and said, "I'm Sasha Braus from from Dauper, in Wall Rose's Southern District, sir!"

"Sasha Braus..." Every word that came out of his mouth seemed forced. "What's that you're holding in your right hand?" I looked around to see a lot of cadets sweat-dropping. I just looked back at the girl, ready for this drama.

Her eyes seemed wide and frightened. "A steamed potato, sir! I came across it in the kitchen, so I picked it up! I wanted to eat it while it was still warm. It was now or never, sir."

The Commander's eyes grew dark. "No... I don't get it... Why are you eating a potato?"

She paused to look at the man confusedly. "Are you... are you asking me why people eat potatoes in general, sir?" I cackled internally. I loved this girl already.

Commander Shadis's entire face went red before he exploded: his intestines flew in all directions, slapping people in the face and staining their clothes; his eyes rolled around on the floor, frantically searching for something; his backbone was all that was left, meagerly standing upright, attached to the bloody lower half of his body; his 3DMG was stained red, falling to the floor and shattering like old glass-

At least that's what I'd like to think happened. Stupid, crazy imagination.

They were a bit far away, so I stopped using my energy to focus on what they were saying and tried to understand the situations by their actions.

The girl then - quite reluctantly - split the potato in "half" and gave it to the Commander. I looked away and down at my feet to hide a growing smile.

After the scary interrogation (that was what everyone else thought of the Commander) that afternoon, we were all standing in front of a few cabins watching the potato girl who was forced to run laps until sundown.

"Hey that potato girl's still at it..." A boy with freckles said. The evening sun illuminated his face elegantly as he spoke and he looked like a literal angel. "She seemed more upset, though about getting her eating privileges taken away than running..."