➝ the tribunal

~ 𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘 ~

Today was the day that Eren's fate would be decided.

Whether he lived or died.

Obviously I didn't trust the Commander and his plan. It seemed too risky when Eren retold it to me.

"Wait, so Anik- I mean, Levi is just gonna keep kicking you around until one of the soldiers stop him?" Eren sighed and nodded. I threw my hands up. "I mean I'm not against the hitting part but what if they don't ask?! What if he beats you to death?! He can do that, you know-" 

"Lio, calm down!" Eren said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I'll be fine..." I was going to intervene when he stopped me. "No. Besides, if I do end up getting killed..." He took a breath. "...maybe it's for the best."

I gasped and pouted, crossing my hands over my chest. Though, I didn't say anything, merely praying to the walls that the Commander's plan would work.

"Oh, by the way, you seem to really seem to hate the Commander. Like, really." Eren pointed out, grabbing my attention. "Wanna tell me why?"

I was surprise at his observation, not expecting it. I furrowed my eyebrows in thought and bit my lip nervously.

He seems to confide in me everyday, and yet I keep silent and just listen. Maybe I should just open out to him? But that'd be too risky - what if he tells Armin and Mikasa? But I'd feel a lot better if I let it out... Maybe just him?

I sighed and told him. I told him about my true identity and where I came from. How Louise-sama was not my grandma but my foster mom, and how Levi was my blood-related brother. How the Commander stole my family from me and how I haven't seen them in 8 years. The only thing I didn't reveal was why I had disguised as a boy.

Eren seemed to be shocked when I was done, biting his lip and playing with his hands nervously. He was breathing heavily, as if contemplating what to say next.

"You're a... girl?" I nodded meagerly. "From the Underground?" I nodded again. "Captain Levi is your... brother?!" I hummed, a bit annoyed. "That's... a lot to take in. Who else knows?"

I paused. "Annie only knows about my gender. Well, she kinda figured it out..." I trailed off and Eren smiled.

"I'm hurt, Lio! You told your girlfriend over me!!" He shouted dramatically, holding a chained hand over his heart and laughing.

"SHE'S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND!!" I whisper-yelled, flicking his forehead. I was obviously blushing, so I looked down at my lap, shyly. "Also, I'm a girl... Girls shouldn't like other girls."

Eren paused to take in my expression. "That doesn't matter."

"It does!" I said, clenching my fists. "Girls should like boys!"

"Show me, then" I looked at him, confused. "Show me the rule book that says that. Listen, you're fine, and human. The emotions you feel are completely normal. Besides, have you seen Christa and Ymir? They are so head-over-heels for each other."

"They... are?" I questioned, not believing my ears.

"Mhm."

I was speechless, trying to say something, but only gaping my mouth like a fish. He continued, laughing slightly. "If I do survive the trial..." He said quietly, as if someone else was in the room. "...I'll help you confess to her."

I sighed and gave in, smiling at him. "Okay."

-----at the court room

The Commander himself had come into Miche's room that day to invite me to the trial. "Eren Jaeger has requested your presence at the court trial..." He said, standing tall and stoic as usual. Unlike me, hatred didn't seep out of his gaze towards me. Rather, it was quite a fond and superior-like stare.