➝ not the freedom they wanted

~ 𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘 ~ 

"Does Levi Ackerman live here?"

Beat.

"I'll get it." Farlan mumbled, his demeanor changing immediately. He looked to grab his knife from the table.

"No. They asked for me. I'll go." Levi spoke confidently. Isabel tugged onto his shirt lightly. He looked behind at her.

"Be careful, Big Bro." He gave a small smile to us all before continuing to the door.

Farlan, Isabel, and I sat at the table waiting for Levi to come back. We heard mumbling at the door before the gross squelch of knife meeting flesh. Our eyes widened and we shared worried looks but stayed put, knowing better.

We all let a out a huge breath when we saw Levi come in with a bloody knife in one hand hand and a slip of paper in the other. His shirt was splattered with stranger's blood.

"Tch. Didn't like this shirt anyway." He took off his shirt, dragged a chair to the table and sat in front of us, fumbling with the piece of paper in his hand. He looked troubled.

"Aniki... Say something." I tried.

He took a deep breath. "That man gave me this piece of paper saying it held things that even I didn't know about my family. Shady bastard."

"Then why did you kill him?" Farlan asked cautiously.

"He was suspicious. He knew my whereabouts and I didn't want him sharing that information. There are people out there who want us dead, whether it's because we are bad people, or just for fun."

"So... what does it say?" The three of us asked in unison.

"I haven't read it yet..." Levi scanned the folded sheet carefully. "It could be planted with something dangerous, you never know."

My curiosity was getting the better of me, and though I tried to hide it, I failed miserably. "I guess we won't know until we open it, right?"

Levi laughed a sweet honey sound that I loved. It was a shame he didn't do that often. He looked my way. "Okay." He opened the slip of paper. In scrawled font was written:

-Name: Elliot Ackerman
-Age: Around 5 currently
-Mother: Kuchel Ackerman
-Father: Unknown
-Live family members: Uncle, brother
-Physical appearance: lilac-blonde, grey eyes, birth mark on back of neck
-Bio: Born in an alley in the Underground; Taken in by stranger man; Her current whereabouts are unknown

Levi reached out to me and brushed some hair away from my shoulder. Sure enough, he had seen a tiny brown freckle that was my birthmark at the back of my neck. He looked back at the paper.

"That's my name, right?" Silence lingered after Levi read that out loud. Even he looked shocked. "You're my real Aniki?" Levi looked up at me, his expression unreadable.

"Y-yes... Yes I guess so..."

"WOW! FARLAN WE WERE RIGHT! THEY ARE SO SIMILAR BECAUSE THEY ARE SIBLINGS!"

"Yeah, I can't believe that, though. Where could that stranger have gotten that information from?"

"WHO CARES?! ELLIE IS LEVI'S BLOOD SISTER!!"

"How can that be possible?" We looked at Levi in confusion. He noticed this and continued. "Well, my mother, Kuchel, died when I was 7... If Elliot and I have 12 years age difference, how can Elliot even exist if Kuchel is her real mother?"

I contemplated this. Yes, it was strange, but right now it didn't matter. All I knew was that nothing could separate us now that we were connected by blood. I felt exhilarated. Thrilled. All sorts of amazing feelings at once.

"I feel great! Don't you, Aniki?!" I looked up expectantly at him.

"Don't get get too excited, brat." He smiled and I beamed even more.

-----volta

"You don't mind if we take that little girl with the pigtails, do you? You know, to have some fun~ I bet you boys have so much fun with her already, it isn't really fair~ ! Come here, red-headed darling~ !" The drunk man swung the empty bottle at Levi's head. It slipped out of his hand and went crashing into a wall.

"DON'T FUCKING TOUCH HER, YOU SON OF A BITCH!" Levi screamed, charging towards the man. Isabel stayed unusually calm, managing to dodge any attempts of them men trying to catch her for whatever perverted things they wanted. She managed to punch one to unconsciousness, and stab another, but they just kept coming.

"FUCK! WE CAN'T USE THE 3DMG HERE, THERE AREN'T MANY BUILDINGS AROUND!" Farlan cursed, managing to wrestle free from a guy who had caught him in headlock.

"GUYS, FORM A CIRCLE, WE'LL GET THEM FROM ALL SIDES!" Levi ordered.

"YES!"

I was quiet. I felt useless. All I could do was watch. Where had all my confidence gone when I fought that guy yesterday? Why wasn't I helping them? My body stayed fixated on the ground, unable to move. I couldn't stop the quivering of my hands and legs. I felt hot tears slide down my cheeks and drip onto the floor silently, praying that nothing would happen to the people I loved the most in my life.

A punch was thrown, and I saw Farlan flying into a wall.

Farlan! Why couldn't I just say that?

I was hyperventilating, unable to process why all this was happening to me. One of the men had managed to grab Isabel's arm and pin it behind her back. She screamed and struggled in his strong grip. I wanted to reach for my knife, but my hands refused to move.

"OI, BOSS!" The voice seemed strangely close to me. "I FOUND ANOTHER CUTIE HERE!" I felt a heavy hand on my shoulder, and I jumped. I was sure I was hidden in the darkness of the alley.

The other men looked at me. Among them was Levi, his eyes wider than humanely possible, a dark shadow cast across his face. He looked to me with an unforgettable face. All I could do was cry silently, my hair falling over my face.

He couldn't see me like this. Not when I've disappointed him this much.  I could only hear faint voices.

"The young one will pay a lot more than the red-head!" Their seeming 'boss' called out. "Leave her and we'll take this one." I gasped. I didn't want this. But I did want this.

It'd save Isabel.

I mustered up the courage to look up at Levi. The tears on my face stopped. I smiled sadly at him. Isabel, next to him, looked shocked and tried to run towards me. Farlan held her back, knowing better.

Something sharp hit my head, and before I could black out, I saw the faint figures of Levi being held back by strange people. Strangers, don't touch him.

"NO!" Levi's hoarse scream was the last thing that echoed in my mind.

-----volta

A purple-winged butterfly flutters past my head. How beautiful.

I love purple. It reminds me of Levi. Speaking of which, where is he? And Farlan? And Isabel? They should be around here somewhere. I look around the vast fields. These forget-me-nots look pretty. Wait, I was looking for something, right? What was it?

I can't seem to remember.

I hear chirping in the distance. I look in that direction. A little grasshopper sits on a blade of grass, sighing with the trees and singing with the wind. Something is in his hands.

Ahh. It's a preying mantis, not a grasshopper.

The purple-winged butterfly struggles in the mantis's grip. How juxtaposing. It's going to get eaten.

I guess, all beautiful things get trampled on. Sometimes, the willpower that you waste to get back up doesn't seem worth it. Dying seems easier.

A bird calls from blue heavens, disappearing into fluffy, white clouds.

★ ciao ! it'll probably be weekly updates from now on so :0 ... stay tuned for the next chapter !