➝ fight me

~ 𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘 ~

"ALRIGHT, TODAY WE'RE GONNA SPAR WITH ONE ANOTHER!" Commander Shadis's booming voice echoed in the dry air.

Jean, who was standing close, turned to me to complain. "Why do we need to fight people? We're here to train to fight titans!"

He thought that he was quiet enough (he wasn't). The Commander stalked stiffly up to us. "IS THERE SOMETHING YOU'D LIKE TO SHARE WITH EVERYONE, KIRSTEIN?!" He bellowed.

"N-no, sir! Everything is A-okay!" He put on an weakly-exaggerated smile and shot him a thumbs up. I sighed and mentally face-palmed. I looked over at Marco and he gave me a small smile, shaking his head.

"WELL THEN, PIPSQUEAKS!" He shouted again, addressing everyone this time. "FIND SOMEONE TO SPAR WITH!" I was about to head over to Eren - Mikasa wouldn't hurt him and Armin wouldn't hurt a fly - when the Commander stopped me. "Find another partner..."

I sighed and looked around. Everyone had partnered up, even Eren, Mikasa, and Armin, and the only other person standing on his own was a tall boy. Berturtle or something.

I looked at him and he looked back. He sighed and smiled. He walked up to me and picked up one of the many wooden knives that were on the floor. "Wanna spar?" He said flipping the knife in his hand. He was a bit quiet, and I barely managed to read his lips.

"Yeah, sure." I took a few steps back to get into a fighting stance. He did too, holding the knife backwards with his left hand. It had been a while since I had fought someone so I was a bit rusty. Hopefully my trusty legs would be able to kick my way to victory.

I closed my eyes and concentrated on Bertholdt's moves. I immediately panicked. I couldn't hear anything, not even the loud angry breathing of Shadis next to me. I opened my eyes again and froze, holding my hands outwards in front of me defensively.

"Please, wait!" I exclaimed. That was probably the first time I've ever spoke loudly since Bertholdt's eyes immediately widened.

"Is something wrong?" His lips moved soundlessly. I shook my head and plopped to the floor, fiddling with my boots. Once I managed to slip them off, I rolled my pants up and I tossed the shoes to the side getting back into my fighting stance. Bertholdt looked confused for a few seconds before turning serious and lifting the knife again.

I smirked as he ran towards me. I closed my eyes and focused on the vibrations of his footsteps through the ground through my bare feet. Before all sound had been turned off when my eyes were closed, but now I could feel every sound.

He was fast, probably because of the fact that he was tall as hell. He was most probably going to hold the knife out in front of me, pin-pointing my neck or shoulders. I took a deep breath just as he was a few feet in front of me and opened my eyes.

I was mistaken - he wasn't holding the knife out in front, rather held it backwards next to his hip, charging at me head-on. My eyes widened in surprise and, out of reflex, I pivoted on my heel out of the way. While I did this, he tripped due to his momentum and I elbowed him in the back out of instinct. He didn't fall down though - much to my dismay - and easily straightened himself again.

This guy's fighting style reminds me of those dumbass boys from the Underground. Talented but lanky and uncontrolled. I thought, reminiscing.

I got back into a stance, my arms crossed over my chest defensively. If Bertholdt hit me there thinking I was a boy, it would hurt like hell and I would give myself away.

He charged at me once again, his right arm swerving in a punch. I dodged it, but he had tricked me. His left hand came up, snaking around my waist before flipping me off my feet in a reverse direction.