➝ a rat amongst the ranks

~ 𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘 ~

That day, the Military Police were checking through the profiles of each soldier's 3DM gear, since it was obvious that the suspect got away on theirs. Levi's squad, Eren, Hange, Scar, and I didn't need to get checked since we were in the castle for the entire night. All of us just stayed in the castle since Levi wanted us all to clean.

As afternoon rolled in, we had finished most of our chores and were taking rest in the huge courtyard outside the castle. A strong longing to see Annie again stung at my heart, but I tried my best to ignore it, hoping to find a way to get Levi by himself so I could talk to him.

I stayed outside with Eren as everyone else headed inside. "So, when are you gonna properly talk to the Captain? Y'know, like a reunion?" Eren asked, looking at me, I looked at him and my vision glazed.

"I don't know...I just want to hug him." I sighed, ferociously wiping my eyes. Eren placed a soothing hand on my shoulder.

As if on cue, Levi walked out of the castle and into the courtyard. He looked as stern as ever, and my eyes burned, realizing another opportunity for a hug missed.

"Go, do it." Eren said. I turned to him, shaking my head. "Just do it. I'll only watch - won't interrupt at all." He raised his hands in the air in mock-surrender. I sighed.

"Okay." I got up as Levi neared us, and we made fierce eye contact.

"Oi, brats! What are you up to-" He was cut off by me running up to him at full speed.

"Aniki!" I cried as I literally jumped into his arms, the both of us crashing to the floor. He seemed taken aback as I gripped him tightly, burying my face into his shoulder.

It took him a few seconds to register, before placing his hands on my back and patting it. "Ellie." He said, sighing.

I sniffed. Hearing him say my name just hit different.

"Aniki... huit ans (8 years)..." I sniffed again, hugging him tighter. "I couldn't hug you until now." He seemed to nod and I let a single tear fall onto his cape.

He hummed and rubbed small circles into my back.

"Alright, you lump. Laisse-moi partir, ou je vais suffoquer (let me go, or i'll suffocate)!" He said, trying to peel me off him. "Plus, the brat is staring..."

I obliged, pulling away and wiping my face. He stood up and held a hand out to me. I took it and got up, smiling sadly. "I'm glad. I thought you wouldn't be okay..." I gestured to my entire body. "...avec ça (with this)."

He scoffed and rolled his eyes, cracking a small smile. "Stop speaking shit. Come on, we have training to do." He looked behind me at Eren. "Oi Jaeger! Call the rest, we're training now!!"

He got up immediately and saluted. "Yes sir!!"

-----

"Yes, go Petra!!" Gunther whooped as Petra beat Oluo for the third time that afternoon.

"I can seriously fight better." Oluo said, angrily. "I was just going easy on her."

"Yeah right." I mumbled, scoffing. Unfortunately, Oluo heard me.

"Hein?! You challenging me, brat?!" He said, holding his hands out in a fighting stance. I sighed and walked forwards.

"No, but if you wanna go, we can go." I shrugged, standing opposite to him and cracking my neck. I kicked my boots off and tossed them to the side next to Eren before rolling my pants up.

"Hey, squirt." Eren whispered into my ear. "Go easy on him..." I smirked and looked back at him.

"No promises."