➝ eine neue morgendämmerung

- a new dawn -

~ 𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘 ~

I now stood in the corner of an alleyway, trying to shield my eyes from the scalding sun that burned my skin. I managed to run away from those strangers that had saved me from the Underground. I couldn't be too sure of what they wanted. I didn't even know how to get to Levi, Farlan, and Isabel.

I was completely alone.

The woman called Lucy had told me that Levi, Farlan and Isabel were taken to join the Scouts, but I didn't want to believe him. If titans really did things like my storybooks said, I didn't want to think of what could happen to them in the worst-case scenario. I suppressed tears.

In one hand, I held my purple cloak that Levi gave me, and in the other, a roll of bandages that I'd stolen from a store nearby. I didn't even know why I needed it. Maybe as some sort of consolation that a part of me was still from the Underground? Was I trying to bring back useless memories?

I looked up. A few old men were walking down the main street as if searching for something. My breath hitched as I vaguely recognized their faces. They were mumbling to each other. "Are you sure she came to the surface?!"

"Yes. Boss said so! Apparently, some pesky Scouts took her and killed the others. Let's find her before some other guys do!" Alright, so I was being hunted down.

A lot of other old men here had similar faces to the ones Underground, but there were also women walking around without a care. Didn't they know the dangers of that?! And yet, there were no kidnappings. I saw the same blond woman walking back and forth in the market about 5 times!

I knew I couldn't stay here safely, so I looked around to see if anyone was watching, before unbuttoning my shirt. I used the bandages to wrap around my chest.

I didn't have much to begin with, but they were still visible under my shirt. The bandages, if wrapped tightly enough, could hide them. Maybe even blip them out of existence.

★ please bind safely, kids ! use proper binders and not bandages ! ★

I looked around me. For some reason, there was an unconscious body of a boy burrowed deeper in the alley. It seemed he had been knocked out. Still hidden by the darkness of the side-street, I swapped - much to my dismay - my skirt with his pants. Have fun going home in that, boyo.

I threw them on and tucked my shirt in. I remembered to take Levi's knife with me as I had left the Underground and used it to snip my hair off. I hesitated before moving the knife, thinking about what Levi would say if I ever saw him again. Tears stung my eyes as my hair fell in a heap to the floor.

I stuffed the hair up the boy's skirt before looking at my reflection in a puddle of his blood. I didn't look bad - like a boy who was too lazy to cut his hair, but a boy nonetheless. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. This was probably the worst idea I've ever had.

Stuffing Levi's knife into the pants' pocket and throwing my cloak over me, I shielded my eyes and walked out into the busy street. First, I needed to find out where I was. I wandered aimlessly before a voice caught my attention.

"Hey, little boy!" A woman's voice shouted behind me. I kept walking through the bustling crowd. "Oi shorty!" It seemed like she was talking to me, so I turned around. An old woman was looking sternly at me.

"M-me?" I asked mustering the most boyish voice I had. It was not that different - a bit deeper - but it suited an 5-year-old.

"Yes, you! Who are you and what are you doing out here? You look like shit!" She said growing ever-sterner.