➝ vogel im käfig

- birds in a cage -

~ 𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘 ~

-----levi pov

"Wait! A-aniki! Aide-moi (Help me)!" Her voice was desperate. Tears fell down her face. She was being pulled into the depths of the shadows by hands, sinking into nothingness.

"Elliot, non (Elliot, no)!" I tried to move, but my legs were stuck to the floor, my arms were glued to my sides. My knife lay dead and useless in front of me. I held back the burning sensation of my eyes.

"Aide-moi, Aniki (Help me, Aniki)!"

"Ellie!" I jolted into sitting position with her name chorusing out of my lips. I had fallen asleep at my desk again after a late night of doing paper work. I could feel the tears burn my eyes, and rubbed them away, along with the remnants of sleep.

"Cap, are you alright?"

"Captain Levi? May we come in?" The two voices of Oluo and Petra were muffled from behind the door.

"Mmm... yeah." I managed to reply, allowing them in. The door creaked open. "What are you brats doing up at this hour?!" I asked, a bit annoyed.

"It's morning, sir." Oluo said. I looked outside the window. Surely enough, the sun was slowly peeking its head from behind the mountains.

"Oh."

Petra spoke up. "We came to check on you since... you shouted suddenly. We were on our way to breakfast."

"I see." I looked down at my desk and idly rubbed at a circular teacup stain on the varnished wood.

"If it isn't too personal... May I ask who 'Ellie' is? That... that was the thing you shouted just now..." Petra prodded and I furrowed my eyebrows. Stupid brats and their stupid curiosity.

"Oi, Petra! Don't!" She looked at Oluo, surprised, before realizing.

"Ahh, yes! Sorry, of course it's personal, sir! Um... if you'd like, we could bring you your breakfast?"

I sighed and shook my head. "Thanks, but I'll pass. Tell the rest that I have some paperwork to finish off." They nodded, saluted, and headed for the door.

As it creaked shut, I could hear their muttering voices outside. "Cap'n works too hard. He really needs a break."

"Tell me about it. All he does is paperwork whilst cooped up in his room." I couldn't even bring myself to smile at their concern as the memory of my nightmare washed over me.

I stood up to stretch from my uncomfortable sleeping position. I looked out of the window, in a daze.

Elliot, I miss you. I hope you're happier now up there with Farlan and Isabel. 

Of course, I could never say those words out loud. I was a Captain, and showing emotions in front of my subordinates will only make them lose respect for me. It was a lose-lose situation. And Hange will never stop pestering me about it.

To speak of the devil, my door slammed open and in pranced the last person I wanted to see that morning. If my scowl could get any deeper, it did. "Go away." I said sternly. They just frolicked to my desk and slammed their hands upon the surface.

"You must be wondering why I'm here-"

"I'm not."

"-and I admire your curiosity! I'll tell you all about it!" They sing-songed.

"Please don't." 

Hange pulled a chair and sat down at the desk anyway. I sighed and rolled my eyes, sitting down as well.