➝ es tut uns leid

- we're sorry -

~ 𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘 ~

I woke up to the gentle touch of fur against my skin. I sniffed before groggily opening my eyes, staring straight into almond-brown ones. I was surprised for a second before calming whinnies let me know of who it was.

Jupiter.

I smiled softly at the loyal stallion. "You dumbass." I sighed. "I give you freedom and you still want to come back to me? What did I do to deserve that?" I tiredly reached my hand out to stroke his elegant mane, his wet nose rubbing affectionately against my cheek.

I looked around. I was still in the forest but it had gotten darker. The sun was dipping in the horizon, casting long shadows of the tree trunks against the damp grass.

Everyone who had survived retreated. And I was the only one left.

The Levi squad's bodies were nowhere to be found, so I assumed they were picked up during the retreat to properly bury them inside the safety of the walls. Maybe my body was undiscovered.

I took in a deep breath and leaned against the tree trunk, trying to get myself up. Jupiter stood up too, letting me hold onto him for support.

"Do you think we can still go back?" I asked to him. He didn't reply (obviously) but gave me an innocent look. I sighed. "It'll get dark soon. The moon should provide enough light for us to head back to the wall."

I ran my hand down Jupiter's face. If only he could understand how much freer than us he was. Titans ate humans, not horses, so he was safe.

We trudged through the ever-darkening forest, warily on the lookout for any pure titans that could attack us. However, when we were met with a few, they stood still, dormant and unable to move from lack of sunlight.

I sighed in relief and continued to walk beside Jupiter, one hand placed on his back and the other wrapped around my torso. I hacked and coughed up blood every now and then, feeling dizzy and weightless, but the pain didn't bother me anymore.

When we made it out of the forest, the sun had fully set against the distant hills and, hidden amongst wispy clouds, the full moon shone brightly to guide us back home.

In the distance, I could make out the grand, tall-standing brick that was Wall Rose and took in a sharp breath. "Let's go." I looked at Jupiter.

He suddenly sat down. "What's up, boy? Are you tired?" I asked. He seemed to gesture to his back and my eyes widened. "Really? But you'll be exhausted by the time we reach!" I said, exasperated. He nudged my arm with his nose and I gave in, climbing onto his back.

He stood up again and started trotting in the direction of the wall. "Thank you, Jupiter. You really are a special being." I said, smiling.

We spent the rest of the night, making our way to Wall Rose, talking (well just me) about anything in particular, and admiring the stars.

Oh, how free I felt outside the walls. If only it would be like this always.

-----

I climbed off of Jupiter as we neared the metal cage that was the entrance to Wall Rose. I walked towards it and poked my head through one of the squares. "Hello?" I said, loudly, trying to get anyone's attention.