Chapter 18- Empty Homes and Hearts

*Paige's Point of View*

"Give me the phone," I Whimpered. Danielle nodded, her eyes filled with worry as she passed me her iphone. My trembling finger scrolled down the contact list; Maggie, Nina wright, Niall Horan-

I clicked the name and pressed the phone hard against my ear, my heartbeat speeding up as it rung on the other line. What would he say? After about a minute, there still was no response and the line went dead.

"He's not replying," i Breathed out, putting my face in my hands. 

"Maybe you should go see him in person," Danielle suggested quietly. I lay a hand absent-mindedly on my stomach before facing Danielle. 

"Yeah. Can you come?" I asked. Danielle nodded, grabbed the keys and we both made our way in the car, driving off into the empty night.

We pulled out in front of the palacial mansion, and the guard immediately let us in, recognising us.  "Liam, can you open the front door for us?" Danielle asked into the microphone by the entrance. The door instantly buzzed and we entered in the dark, cold parlour, our footsteps clicking loudly against the marble and echoing throughout the hall. "Liam's just texted asking why we're here," Danielle said softly, checking her phone as we rode up the elevator. 

"Don't tell him," I said quickly. "At least yet," 

Danielle nodded slowly. "I'll leave you guys be." She said. "Call me if you need anything," Danielle hesitantly ended and left me in the lift. 

Oh God. Why me? I didn't need this. What is Niall going to say? What will he think? Will he not want me to keep it? The questions swarmed my mind endlessly before the lift doors opened and I carefully rung on Niall's doorbell, my palms hot and sweaty. No answer. The light filtered through the gap at the bottom of the door signalling that he should be here. After waiting for about ten minutes, I took a deep shaky breath and left, calling Dani to tell her I've taken the car to go home. I sat shakily in the driver's seat, my mind in a daze. This couldn't be happening to me. My eyelids were heavy; it was past one in the morning. Desperately needing a break from driving,  I parked in front of a small shopping village, to find a selection of supermarkets, closed cafes and fast food restaurants. The only one that was seemingly opened happened to be Nando's, so I entered the warm, spicy place, making myself comfortable on the red plastic chairs. I gently closed my eyelids shut, before reopening them.

"How may I help you?" The waitor beside me asked and I ordered the usual extra spicy Peri Peri chicken. The one Niall likes, I thought.  I was just in the process of chewing into my chicken when I saw a head of messy blonde hair enter through the door, an icy wind sweeping past at the same time. My chewing immediately stopped. Was that...? No. Oh no.  He dragged himself over to the counter, probably to order, wisps of bleached hair trailing lightly behind him. He wore navy blue, baggy Jack Wills joggers with a charcoal black coat that nicely hugged the contour of his slight muscular frame. What should I do?! I was suppose to talk to him, that's why I went to his house goddamit! And all I wanted to do was escape the instant... But it was already too late. Niall had turned around, his light blue irises locking instantly with mine. His mouth hung open for about half a second before closing it again. His eyes dropped a bit before taking a breath and walking over to another table. Oh come on... I took another bite into my chicken, before wiping my mouth and standing up, my hands shaking terribly and my heartbeat suddenly accelerating. Taking hesitant steps, I approached Niall who had his head phones on and evidently didn't see or hear me. 

"Niall," I said, trying to compose my voice. "Niall!" I repeated pulled his Beats off myself. Niall instantly snapped his head up, his eyebrows furrowing menacingly as he made eye contact with me.  "What do you want?" He asked bitterly. My heart shattered as soon as the words left his mouth.