thirty-seven.

Theo Nott

"So are you guys ready to leave this weekend?" Blaise said, coming over and throwing his arms over mine and Draco's shoulders as we walked down the halls.

Draco and I both shrugged, not really caring.

"It's going to be like every year." Draco mumbled "Boring and full of drinking."

"Yes, but this year we all have significant others." Blaise chuckled.

"Still doesn't matter. We were all shagging before we made it official. Am I wrong?" Blaise let go, walking in between me and Draco.

"Technically, you two were the only ones shagging. Sadie and I didn't like each other." I reminded him.

"You've always liked her," Draco replied.

"But you just wouldn't man up and talk to her," Blaise added.

I shook my head, "I did man up-"

"Yeah, this year." They both said and unison.

They were right.

I was always scared to talk to her. She always kept to herself and only talked to Pansy and Astoria. Mostly Astoria because they shared a dorm.

There was another reason, too, though. I was scared she'd leave. I never get attached because of that. Abandonment issues if you will.

And I'm still scared that she'll walk away, that she'll see a side of me that she doesn't like. My weak side. My weakest side.

"She's coming to your Manor this year, right?" Draco asked, trying to get a headcount.

I nodded.

"She never comes," Blaise interjected.

"Yeah, she tells Astoria she visits her parents because she's here during the year and it's the only time she can see both of them," Draco added. He had a look though. And then he spoke again "Why did she decide to come now?"

I shrugged, "Don't know."

"Maybe she's always liked you too. But just never said anything." Blaise smiled as Korrie and Pansy walked by.

I shrugged again, "Only she knows. Now let's get to class."

We walked through the doors and Sadie sat there, her head down and reading.

We were in Transfiguration so we sat right next to each other.

***

Sadie Myers.

My head was down and in a book, reading the same line over and over.

This wasn't normal for me. Usually, I was able to read through the pages quickly, but today was weird. Something was off. In my gut, something was telling me that I needed to see my father; talk to him and get answers for something. But I didn't know what.

"Hey," Theo said, sitting down next to me and putting his bag on the floor. "How are you?"

I chuckled nervously, hoping he wouldn't ask anything more personal. "I'm good. How are you?"

"Fine." He smiled, pulling out his books.

It felt weird between him and I. Weirder than normal. I should've told him, and he knew something was up, but I didn't have the courage for that conversation yet. And I sure as hell didn't dare to watch him leave me for so many lies I've kept.

"I wanted to ask you something." He stopped my thoughts and I looked at him, "Did you-"

He stopped and looked up and behind me. I felt someone standing there and I knew. My gut had stopped wrenching and my heart started to drop. My mind wasn't making the connections yet.