nineteen.

*MATURE CONTENT*

***

Theo Nott.

I turned my head to the side, looking at her. Some would say that it's creepy to watch someone sleep but honestly, I've been waiting to wake up to her next to me for a while.

I stood up slowly, trying not to wake her as I made my way over to my shelf. I pulled down my box and opened it, going through it and grabbing a letter from when I was thirteen. I cringed as I opened the letter, looking at my terrible penmanship. In the last few years, it's gotten better but I wished that it wasn't that bad before.

I read over the words, remembering my stupid little crush.

Sadie,

You're pretty and you're perfect. I'll never actually give this to you, but I just wanted to write this down since we're not even friends. But, yeah.

Theo.

I shook my head and chuckled at my confession, knowing that it was cringy. Since my first year, I've always thought that she was beautiful. Her dark brown hair, her dark brown eyes, her melanin skin. Perfect.

I put the little note back in the box and picked up the necklace that used to be my mother's. It was gold and had a little butterfly pendant on it. My mother wore it all the time. When she got sick, she gave it to me and told me to give it to the girl of my dreams.

I picked up the letter that came with the necklace. My mother had written it while she was in the hospital, the day before she passed.

My little Theodore,

I love you. Don't worry. I'll be home soon and I'll be all better. I want you to have this though. My father had given it to my mother, who gave it to me. And now I want to give it to you. When you are of age, give it to the girl of your dreams.

Once again, I love you. You mean the world to me and I can't wait to watch you grow into an amazing young man.

I love you.

Sincerely, your mother.

Little did I know that that was her goodbye and that she'd watch me from above. She had written that knowing that it was her last few minutes. She devoted her last time on earth to me.

I started playing piano again after I found out she had passed. It felt like her hand was on my shoulder each time that I played. When I practiced at home, before I quit, she would rest her hand on my shoulder and squeeze it while I played.

I missed her.

I also had her wedding ring in the box. A few more letters from when she was in the hospital, and just some very important things to me in the box.

"What time is it?" Sadie groaned and I turned around, looking at her and shrugging.

"It's like seven forty-five. We've missed breakfast." I replied, putting the letter back in the box and putting that on the shelf.

"Are you serious!" She jumped from the bed, sliding on her slippers "We're going to be late."

"Calm down." I chuckled.

"No! I need to go back to my dorm and shower and grab my robe and-"

"You can use mine. Sure, it'll be a little bit, but no one will notice." I walked over to my closet and grabbed a white button-up and a robe, tossing it to her "No one will see that you only have a shirt on under. Plus, it's long enough."