Chapter 4|| New York

"Change is a great and horrible thing, and people love it or hate it at the same time

"Change is a great and horrible thing, and people love it or hate it at the same time. Without change, however, you just don't move."
-Marc Jacobs
_________________

" -Marc Jacobs_________________

2011, Murray Hill, New York

Age 18

I marvel at the beautiful infrastructure and diversity that is Manhattan, New York as the friendly taxi driver brings me to Murray Hill, a quiet neighborhood I researched prior to leaving home. The vehicle comes to a stop in front of the Shelburne Hotel, my temporary residence as I organize myself in the States.

I pay the driver, not forgetting to tip him before entering the modernized building. The Shelburne Hotel is perfectly situated in the center of Murray Hill. All sought-out attractions of the neighborhood being a few steps away from the building. The African American doorman dressed in grey and black formal wear bows curtly as he pushes open the gold-framed glass doors to allow me inside.

"Thank you," I bow in respect for him. He smiles in response before turning his attention back to the street where a yellow taxi similar to the one I arrived in pulls up.

"Reservation for Elliana," I say to the receptionist.

"Wow, what a beautiful accent." The blonde behind the desk, whose name tag says Millie Jones, compliments me.

"Thank you very much," I reply, scolding myself for not toning down my accent.

"Here's your room card and key, please enjoy your stay," Millie says, a bright smile on her face.

"Thanks," I reply before entering the elevator.

I lean against the shiny gold walls, as the contraption lifts me to the tenth floor where my room is. A ping signals my arrival, the elevator coming to a stop. I haul my suitcase out the opening and search for my room number until I reach the end of the hall. The bold, white numbers '125' on the door leads me into my first ever studio apartment.

"Wow, beautiful," I remove my shoes as I close the door, my foot feeling comfortable against the laminated floor in the foyer.

I scan the expansive living room and kitchen area before moving into the bedroom. The black and white decor immediately reminding me of home, however just as quickly as the thought comes I shake it off. I place my bag near the walnut nightstand before sitting on the grey and white bed.