Chapter 3|| Beginning Today

"You can run away from yourself so often, and so much, just because the broken pieces of you cut your feet too deeply if you stay around for too long

"You can run away from yourself so often, and so much, just because the broken pieces of you cut your feet too deeply if you stay around for too long. But then what if someone were to come along and pick up those pieces for you? Then you wouldn't have to run away from yourself anymore. You could stop running. If someone sees you as something worth staying with— maybe you'll stay with yourself, too."
C. JoyBell C.
________________

2011, Milan, Italy

2011, Milan, Italy

Age 18

"Happy birthday, Miss Esmé," Soraya greets, as she drives a cart full of my favorite breakfast items close to my bed. I immediately sit up and stuff my mouth with a piece of pizza. "Truly, an Italian at heart, aren't you, my favorite Pisces?" Camren's voice stuns me momentarily.

"Oh, shut up, Cam. Thank you very much, Soraya." I smile, putting sausage into my mouth.

"Take your time, Esmé," Soraya scolds me before exiting my room.

"Cam, I love you," I mumble with my mouth full.

He chuckles loudly, wrapping his arms around my waist and bringing me closer to his chest. I relax into my favorite place, the embrace of my brother always reminding me of love and peace. "Happy birthday, sorellina, March 3rd, 1993 was truly the happiest day of my life," Camren smiles down at me, my lips instantly tugging into a warm smile.

"I love you too, idiot," Camren replies.

"Where's Mom though?" I question him.

"Mom is away on a trip, she should give you a call as soon as she is available." He replies and I nod, returning to munching the delicious food.

Camren releases me and waves as he leaves my room. I inhale deeply, my heart breaking at the thought of leaving my brother. I would ask him to come with me but he's already involved with Mom's plans and I can't risk my capture. I clamber onto my knees, removing the loose, rectangular piece of the floorboard under my bed to reveal my packed bag.

I scan through the bag once again; -- clothes, hygiene essentials, pistol, rope, and false identity documents. I lay on my bed and stare at my ceiling for one final time. My phone rings from my nightstand and I hurriedly pick it up, recognizing the caller.