Chapter 20| Kill for Love

Love is the most powerful emotion, and that makes it the most dangerous

2016, Murray Hill, New York

Age 23

"No," I reply, without hesitation.

This is the time I listen to my mother's wishes. It feels right that the person who gave her sleepless nights and immense trauma was my last mission. No more will I serve as my father's dog. Cannot deny that being around Esmé gave me more inspiration than mom's advice.

"Cosa mi hai detto? You must have been answering Matteo," his voice raises in volume. [what did you say to me?]

"It's definitely you that I'm speaking to, father. Better yet, asshole. I said no, mi rifiuto,"

"You refuse? Who gave you the right. I'll have you know that if you disobey me there will be consequences for you and Matteo,"

"I'm done leaping at your every bark, I'm resigning from Lethal Demons immediately," I hang up the call before he can reply. I unclench my fists and laugh. Gutty, loud laughter filling the once tense car, my muscles all relaxing in relief. Satisfied with the new freedom.

"Bro, what the fuck is going on?" Matteo parks the car, gazing at me with narrowed eyes.

"I told that fucker I'm done with him,"

"You told Vincenzo that you're done with him, what the fuck. Where did you get balls all of a sudden?" Matteo's eyes widen as he exaggerates every word.

"Always had them, do you want to see?"

"Fuck no," We throw our heads back with laughter till we are wheezing messes.

"That means he's gonna put a target on your ass," Matteo mutters.

"Don't sweat about it, this was a long time coming. There's nobody in LD with skills close to ours, we're in the clear for a while,"

"Good thing we were selfish bastards who refused to teach underlings,"

"Great thing, wait-" a smile spreads on my face as I spot Esme standing in front of a convenience store, plastic bags in one hand as she types hurriedly on her phone with the other. She's flawless even doing the simplest things.