Prologue

Standing in the middle of the capacious, soundproof target room, I grip today's weapon choice loosely

Standing in the middle of the capacious, soundproof target room, I grip today's weapon choice loosely. Breathing becomes strenuous as the air surrounding me sours creating a delusion of closing walls. I shut my eyes momentarily, my mind wandering to my early childhood, my mother's favorite quote replaying like a broken cassette.

"The world is dangerous, angelo, but you are supposed to always beat it at its game. Essere feroce!" It always bewildered me why my mother would reiterate this information to me throughout my childhood -- now it is clear she was slowly unraveling my family's truth to me.

"Essie, focus!" Mom shouts, shooting at her target's head.

My slender fingers shakily clutch the trigger, applying pressure, and releasing a bullet. The gun powder capsule nailing the fake target's head. Mother glances at me, a proud smirk on her face as she claps briefly.

I smile enjoying my slight accomplishment as I register Mom's praise in my mind. Deeper beneath this successful feeling, disappointment lurks. My lips contort into a frown and I gnaw my bottom lip harshly to distract myself from the swarm of pessimistic thoughts.

"Do it again, Esmé," She exclaims monotonously, her steel grey eyes cold— the usual.

Similar to a robot, I mindlessly pull the trigger, repeatedly hitting the same spot. Due to sudden irritation, I face the gun in the direction of the floor, turning to gaze at my mother.

"I'm done," I announce, running out of the room.

"Esmé Serafina Angel, come back here right now!" She shouts, her footsteps pursuing me down the hall.

I scurry up the stairs to the fourth floor, slamming my bedroom door. I slide down along the concrete wall, bringing my knees to my chest. My arms wrap around them, the gun hanging loosely from my quivering fingers.

At what age is it okay to introduce your child to violence?

A/N

What are your thoughts on the prologue?

Are you excited about Esmé's journey?

Happy birthday, Sis!  tumblrgirl736 This one is for you.