Chapter 22|| Banter

"Thinking of you keeps me awake

"Thinking of you keeps me awake. Dreaming of you keeps me asleep. Being with you keeps me alive."
– Unknown
_____________

2016, Murray Hill, New York

Age 21

Valencio and I rush to pull on our clothes, skipping over certain items like his boxers-- which he used to clean us up. The stranger continues banging on the door and shouting hostile threats. Valencio chuckles and mocks the man, lightening the tension in the atmosphere. We hold onto our weapons before slowly opening the door, a gust of cold breeze greeting us as we do.

"Who are you?" Valencio asks, shielding me behind his back.

"I own this shed, what are you doing in here?" the dumpy man asks scowling, a hunter riffle dangling from his shoulders.

"Sorry, my girl and I were running through the woods, saw the shed, and decided to have some fun," Valencio dangles my bra in the air and I hit his back as my cheeks flush in embarrassment.

"You young people and your libido," the man blushes and looks at the ground.

"My princess was begging for it, old man. You've got to give the women what they want," Valencio looks at me in the corner of his eyes and smirks.

"The prince here was also begging like a dog in a rut so excuse our manners," I say, pinching Valencio's sides causing him to groan and glare at me. I shrug my shoulders before returning my attention to the older man.

"Go home now," the man commands..

"We're unfamiliar with this area and don't think it's okay to drive at this time, please allow us to rest here for the night," I plead.

"How can I know that you won't destroy my property," the man scoffs.

Valencio fishes his pockets for something while gesturing for the man to wait. He pulls out his wallet and hands the man a small, rectangular paper. The man scans the contents of the paper before his eyes blow wide.

"Mr. Fuentes, it's been years," the man says and I raise my eyebrows in confusion, "it's me, Mr. Logan, you helped me sell my parents' house,"

"Oh, hi, Mr, Logan, I was just trying to prove my good character, didn't notice you were my old customer. Sorry for not recognizing you," Valencio says, shaking the man's hand.