Chapter 6|| Night Life

Family is supposed to be our safe haven

Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it's the place we find the deepest heartache.
– Lyanla Vansant
________________

 – Lyanla Vansant________________

2011, Murray Hill, New York

Age 18

When picking which neighborhood to live in, I chose Murray Hill because of its boasted serenity, parks, student population, and attractions. As Angela retrieves the cooler packed with wine and juice pouches from the back of my new silver Hyundai Tucson, I glare at the jovial families crowding the park. My mind wanders to Camren,-- How is he doing? Does he miss me? Does he think about me? Is he looking for me? What look did he have on his face when he found my locked room empty? And my mother,-- Does she know where I am? Did she cry when she heard of my disappearance? Was I on the news?

"Elliana, you're scaring those kids." Angela whisper-yells.

I wave my hand apologetically at the pointing children and their parents, a boy and a girl no older than 7. Their parents nod with a smile as the children resume playing without a care in the world. When Cam and I were 7, the only park we went to was the one built in our backyard. I remember begging the assistant maid Giorgia to bring us to a bigger park like the one on TV, though she was reluctant to do so. She disappeared after that, and now I wonder did Mamma kill her?

"You get lost in your mind too often." Angela laughs.

"I'm sorry, Angie," I say, "Can't believe it's been five months already."

"Are you enjoying your life here in Murray Hill?" She asks.

"Yes, yes, I am," I grab a slice of pizza from the open box.

"Do you miss home?" She pushes a straw into her juice box.

"Not really, I miss my dad but I needed to move on from that small town," I say.

"You're forgetting to say something." She mutters.

"I don't know what you mean." I joke, already knowing what she wants me to say.