Chapter 18| Denying Feelings

Don't you be so nice to me; I fall in love so easily

—Waylon Jennings

2016, Murray Hill, New York

Age 21

Are thoughts meant to keep you up all night? Feelings are such a confusing concept-- your mind gets filled with memories and unwanted thoughts surrounding one person and your heart won't stop racing like it's in a competition aiming for first place. I toss my pillow onto the floor in frustration, dragging myself to the bathroom to prepare for work.

The feeling that today is going to be a long day crosses my mind, irritating me to a greater extent. Since arriving home last night, I've been in an internal battle with my heart. Unable to get Valencio's laughter and smile out of my head, my mind strayed to more thoughts of the Italian inveigler; his spellbinding grey eyes, his squint when he's focused, his muscles, the various ring designs he wears, and his leather fingerless gloves.

Does thinking about him all night after enjoying a night in the arcade with our friends-- though it felt like it was only us present- warrant feelings for him? No, it doesn't. A relationship was never part of my agenda and Valencio could have anyone falling at his feet-- why would he want me? Someone on his level of success and drive would suit him better.

Shutting off my wandering mind for the moment, I pull on my outfit and style my hair before rushing down the stairs to my car. I was up with the sunrise but couldn't find the energy to move for a long time and now I'm a bit late. Texting Valencio about missing this morning's meetup, I drive directly to work.

"Good Morning, Elliana," Angela waves as she pushes open the door.

"Glad to see you arriving now too, thought I was going to be late,"

"I stayed in bed with Maia and Miller, they were too cute to leave alone,"

"You're going to vomit rainbows on me at this point. We get that you have a cute husband and daughter already, stop rubbing it in,"

"Valencio would make a great husband if you'd stop friend-zoning him," she rolls her eyes.

"It's because we are just friends, and you refuse to accept that fact,"