Chapter 17| From shooting to dancing

The higher you build walls around your heart, the harder you fall when someone tears them down

~Unknown

2016, Murray Hill, New York

Age 21

Watching as the puff of smoke from my mouth melts into thin air, I bring the bud to my lips once again. I put out the cigarette on the purple ashtray while reclining on the pool chair. It had been a while since the need for a smoke overcame me. I rarely use the death stick, only when things become too stressful and immediate relief is needed.— I hate the aftertaste.

I clutch the phone in my hand tight awaiting Camren's call. His last message reads that he is going to call any time now. Closing my eyes, the sun bathes my skin in its heat and revitalizes my energy.— natural vitamin D is the best. Before the phone can ring three times, I swipe the answer button.

"Were you waiting for my call?" Camren chuckles.

"Of course, you told me you were going to so I waited," I sass.

"I want to keep in touch since I can't be close to you right now. You made me frantic the other night with your text,"

"I was being chased and I wanted to tell you I love you in case something happened,"

"Seriously, Esme, what's been going on in New York? Has there been other incidents?"

"There hasn't. These people were called Little Devils, maybe an upcoming mafia group. I have to go somewhere now, Cam,"

"Angelo, you can't hide the truth from me for too long, I always find out,"

"Yet you didn't find me in four years,"

"That was seriously low, Essie. I'll talk to you some other time," he sighs before hanging up.

I clench and unclench my fists, a pang gripping my chest as I stare at my phone. My words were uncalled for, Camren told me how horrible he felt not finding me and I brought that up.-- I'm the worst sister. My goal was always to protect Camren and impress him with whatever I accomplished, yet none of that came true because of my selfishness.