Chapter 5|| Unwelcome Visit

"The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned

"The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned."
-Maya Angelou
_________________

" -Maya Angelou_________________

2011, Murray Hill, New York

Age 18

"You've been here a month and you haven't explored the city," Angela remarks dramatically as we eat sandwiches in the lunchroom.

"Well, I don't have any friends other than you, so no," I reply nonchalantly, drinking from my glass of apple juice.

"And you never found out who was following you either? Are you sure you didn't have enemies in Europe?" She asks.

"I'm sure you've seen my police records just like Jane has, I didn't commit any crimes or anger anyone," I say.

"What about your family, did they anger anyone?" She questions me.

I keep my eyebrows and cheeks relaxed as the question puts me on edge. I observe Angela's eyes, they didn't seem to show any suspicion. I decide to ignore the question and stuff a piece of the BLT in my mouth. She looks at me, "Ellie. I asked a question."

"No, my father wasn't involved in anything and he was all I had. I don't like talking about my family." I say.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to anger you or anything." Angela's next movements are full of panic.

"You didn't Angie, tell me about the New York nightlife; something new this time, please." I jokingly plead.

"Instead of telling you, I'm taking you to a club tonight." She says confidently.

"You're still coming house shopping with me, right?" I ask.

"Of course, can't leave my foreign bestie all alone." She jokes.

"Elliana, can you come in, please?" Jane shouts from her office.

My hands instantly tremble, like her summoning me triggered my nerves. I run my fingers through my hair as I bite the insides of my cheek. I walk slowly to the room, my mind running a million scenarios as to why she would suddenly call me on my lunch hour. Did she find out my real identity? Did she want to fire me? Did I accidentally eat her dog?-- unrealistic but possible. I push open the heavy mahogany door, sitting at the empty chair in front of her desk.