Chapter 26|| Change HAS to come.

All great changes are preceded by choas

~Deepak Chopra
______________

2016, Murray Hill, New YorkAge 23

Age 23

"Valencio, I'm sorry," Esmé's eyes never leave the paper she tossed to the ground, her hands pulling at the material of her dress.

"Why are you sorry?" I grab her chin and turn her attention to me; my heart aching as tears swell in her beautiful light brown eyes.

I place wet kisses on her dampened cheeks, running my fingers through her hair. She tries to look away but my fingers on her chin prevent her from doing so.

"For dragging you into my mess,"

"You did no such thing. Your mess is my mess, I'm going to protect you no matter what," I pull her into my arms, shoving her head into my chest.

I embrace her in silence as her body convulses in my arms, my fingers ghosting over her spine in a comforting manner. Her puffy eyes look into mine for a split second before she looks down again.

"Why can't this all be done? I didn't fucking ask to be born who I was, they should just kill me if it's such a problem,"

"Please don't say that;  if you die, what will happen to me?"

"I-I'm sorry, but it's too much," she pushes me away and faces the opposite direction.

"I'll take you home, Bambina,"

I unlock the car and she gets into the back seat, leaning forward with her eyes closed. The drive is silent, the buzz from earlier deteriorating with the note and Elliana's desperate cries. Elliana speaks no words to me until we reach her driveway.

"Thank you for tonight, but right now I'd like to be alone," she walks away without hearing my response. I wait until she closes the front door before driving home.

Elliana's words ring in my ears like a broken record as I ride the elevator to my apartment. The image of her pained expression replaying in front of my eyes, the scene breaking my heart once again. We didn't ask to be born into Mafia families especially as successors and now we're paying the price for a destructive destiny.