Chapter 2||New Regime

"Step one, accept she was a damn boss

"Step one, accept she was a damn boss. Step two, hide all the knives, guns, and maybe the pillows, too."
J.J. McAvoy
_____________________

 McAvoy_____________________

2008, Milan, Italy

Age 15

"Britannica says, 'Italian history begins with the Etruscans, an ancient civilization that rose between the Arno and Tiber rivers. The Etruscans were supplanted in the 3rd century BCE by the Romans, who soon became the chief power in the Mediterranean world and whose empire stretched from India to Scotland by the 2nd century.'" Mrs. Colucci rambles.

I gaze at my laptop, skimming the words on the screen. My mind refuses to settle and focus on the content of the paragraph. I rub my forehead forcefully, blinking my eyes in rapid succession. I groan loudly, gaining the attention of my teacher. "Ms.Angel, is everything okay?" Her eyebrows knit in confusion and concern.

"Everything is amazing." I lie, flashing her with a convincing smile.

A powerful aura fills the room, Mrs. Colucci's head promptly bows in submission. I keep my eyes glued to my page, knowing already who has entered. Claw-like hands rest on my back demanding my scrutiny.

"How is she doing today?" Her compelling voice asks.

"She's doing great as always, Ms. Angel," my teacher stutters.

"Buon Lavoro, Tesoro," Mother kisses my forehead. She whispers into my ear "After class, we have some things to do."-- [Good job, treasure,]

She saunters out of the room, her broad hips swaying rhythmically almost like a mellow tune was playing from a radio, only she could hear. The clinging of the heel of her black leather boots distracts everyone and is greedy for heed.

"We are almost done." Mrs. Colucci announces.

"Good, I'm over this anyway," I say.

"Yes, Ms. Angel," she replies.

Mrs. Colucci's explanation distorts in my mind as I recall the strange events of the morning. Mother's conspicuous demeanor was alarming.

"Wake up, Angelo," Mom screamed into my ear.