Chapter 17: Whispers and Lies

"Queen Linha, it is a pleasure to see you in this sunny morning" The young man greeted with a respectful bow.

"Sir Park, thank you for being here although it is your day off. Sending for you was very short notice I must admit" she said, apologizing with her eyes.

"My time is best used at your service my Queen, how can I help?"

"I was thinking maybe you could teach few of my ladies about the art of candle making, scented of course. The ones you offered me on Thera Day were a delight." she asked as they walked side by side towards her court ladies' quarters.

"I have no problem with that, I shall gladly share my knowledge" Jimin replied, stopping right in front of the closed doors. 

The Queen nodded to him and smiled kindly "And- sir Park, to show my gratitude for everything you've done for this palace, I hereby invite your sister Park Mina of the Southern Liquis to be an official apprentice at the royal family's academy" she announced, watching his eyes widen and shine in excitement.

"My Queen... It will be her pleasure to honor your invitation. I shall let her know as soon as I return home" he replied, trying to contain his joy for his sister. 

"Well then, I will leave you to your work. The ladies you shall be teaching are waiting for you inside." she finished before turning and walking away, newly followed by a couple of court ladies in the area.

---

"No Jungkook, Vals cannot hear beyond or within palace walls, you know this" Jin replied for the third time "They were built differently to prevent that".

The Crown Prince was yet again seeking answers for his endless questions. The most recent bizarre incident was when he heard the guard and the woman speak from way too far, and now he had to make sure it was doable somehow because if not, he wouldn't be crazy but he would be something else. 

"I need you to listen to me carefully" the Prince said, looking at his former teacher in the eyes. "If someone hears from within a room in the palace, a conversation that is carried out dozens of strides away, what does that make them?" he asked.

"A Val God"

They were sitting at Jin's office desk, one trying to explain a situation as best as he can and the other doubting every word he says. Jungkook noticed the relaxation of Jin's features, signally that he was not ready to believe anything he advances from now on.

"Well let me tell you one thing, I am not a Val God" Jungkook replied with his teeth gritted. His hot temper was taking over and he had to remind himself not to give in, because he doesn't know what he might admit once he's in that state.

"Was it you who heard this conversation? Jungkook you're not even a Val. You cannot hear anything past a certain range-to-volume limit" Jin sighed in exasperation. He didn't know what's gotten into the Crown Prince but he's been coming to his office with the oddest problems to solve. 

"You have to believe me Jin, I am not lying to you. Could you search whether it is possible for Pyre's ear to become as strong?" Jungkook said, a hand on the older's forearm while he pursed his lips.

"Even if your ear was trained, it could never rival a Val's hearing. Their abilities are drawn from the air, they hear with their element" Jin elaborated once more, hoping the Crown Prince would understand how impossible it all sounds. "Maybe the conversation you heard was louder than you thought" he suggested.

"I was in my office Jin... The conversation was in the East gate." he quickly replied before standing up to make his leave.

"I will look for an answer" Jin declared when the Prince was halfway out.