Chapter 12

Instead of going back to my dorm, I drove to my dad's house. He lived in the worst part of the city. Kind of like the slums.

    Where it all happened.

    My dad was worried about why I was back. But he didn't have a problem with it.

    I knew he wouldn't mind. He was my dad after all. And he always complained about me not visiting more often.

    So here I was. Curled up on his sofa with tearstained cheeks. Jurassic Park movies playing on the TV screen.

    "Here you go, darling." He sat the bowl on the coffee table next to me. I knew what it was. He called it 'what's wrong' soup. And he made it all from scratch. "Are you going to tell me what's wrong?"

    Wiping my face, I smile at him.

    Dad was a big guy. Standing at almost six feet. He was bald and his beard was dark with a few grey patches.

    He was a very intimidating man. Or that's what most of the people I've met said about him.

    Dad didn't take no for an answer sometimes. If he wanted to know something, he found out.

    "Can I ask you something first?"

    His brown eyes landed on me. His brow raised in question.

    "I know you run a business...but what kind? What do you do?"

    He let out a low sigh. His shoulders stiff.

    I had asked something he didn't want me to know.

    But I was so much like him. If I wanted to know something, I went for it with everything I had. And I didn't back down.

    "Are you sure?" He looks at me with question in his eyes.

    Did I want to know?

    After seeing Rex kill a man in cold blood....I was still pretty shaken.

    Anybody who saw that with their own eyes would be. I wasn't a weenie. This was a normal reaction... hopefully.

    "Yeah I want to know." Better to know now then never.

    And even if it was bad I knew he wouldn't hurt me. He was my dad. He saved me. Protected me. Made sure I was alright and got me the help I needed.

    But I couldn't say the same about Rex. I didn't know much about him. And he killed someone for christ sakes! I couldn't really trust him. I couldn't really trust any of them.

    "I want to be able to help. I was thinking about dropping out of college."

    His jaw dropped open. He looked surprised.

    I would be too. I've always wanted to be a doctor. To save people. But I don't know anymore.

    I didn't know anything anymore. And it was frustrating.

    Dad nodded and ran his hand over his head. "It's gonna be boring. And I don't think you'd be good at an office job. You're too of a 'gotta go' type of person. You wouldn't be able to sit down in a chair all day like your old man."

    I smiled at him. He was right. I wouldn't be able to do that. I hated sitting down at the desks. It made me all antsy.

    "But I know someone who needs help in his shop. An old friend of yours. You do remember Erik, don't you?"

    Erik? He was still around? Oh God.

    "By the look on your face; I'd say you do. You know where he lives. You talk to him tomorrow."

    And with that he moves to his rocking chair.

    I pick up the bowl and blow. It's still steaming even though I gave it time to cool down.

    If anyone took one look at it you'd think it was any other type of soup you'd get out of a can. But dad's tasted like home.

    It had onions, green, red, and orange peppers, dumplings, and a tint of chilli powder.

    And it always made everything better. No matter what the circumstances. Dad was a miracle worker.

####
The shop looked about the same as it did when I was in middle school.

    Erik was like my best friend. He and I broke into the old theater place. We got caught each time because we would laugh the whole time.

    The shop still had that 'Do Not Enter' sign out front. I had painted it pink and hung it up.

    Erik's dad, Robert, didn't mind it. Said it gave the place character.

    Walking inside, the bell rung.

    Robert would always know when I walked in. He'd have a Pepsi and a bag of chips ready everytime.

    "I'll be right out!"

    The deep voice startled me. But I instantly knew it. Erik.

    He walked out with a rag in his hands. His brown skin was still as flawless as ever. And he still had freckles on his nose.

    His hazel eyes found me and smiled.

    "Damn! You still look better than me."

    A smile spread across his face, showing off his white teeth, and he swooped me up in a hug.

    "You know I'll always look better than you, babes." He set me down and flicked my nose. "What are you doing here?" Worry laced his voice now.

    I shrug. "College isn't working out. I'm thinking about dropping out. And I heard you needed some help?"

    "I do actually. My last employee just up and left. No word about it. Just left. So I'm having some trouble getting to all the people who come in looking for parts."

    I nod and follow him to the front desk. His curly hair was slicked back with what smelled like hair gel.

    "All you'd really have to do is open this computer here. Ask what the person is looking for and see if it's in stock. I have it all up-to-date." He gave me a tired smile. "Trying to do this and fix costumers cars is hard. I could really use your help."

    "When do I start?"

    I had been here for three hours. It wasn't too hard. But finding the parts myself? That was extremely hard.

    Seven people have came in and out. Three cars have came in.

    Erik seemed grateful I was there. He would ask for a part and I would look it up and get it.

    I wasn't sitting around for long. I was going non-stop. And that's what I liked.

    Now, it was getting dark and the air was cooler.

    The sound of cars and horns filled silence I usually always heard. It was nice.

    Erik had turned the lights off and the 'Open' sign turned off.

    "You did great today." He leaned against the counter and winked at me.

    I roll my eyes. "I'm a fast learner."

    "Oh? How fast?"

    I grab his nose and he lets out a yelp. "I'm bringing cleaning supplies tomorrow. And this place is gonna get a makeover."

    When I let his nose go he glared at me. "You're just so mean. Can't even joke around with you."

    I just laugh. We both know he's gay. And he loves to make people second guess everything they know.

    Confusing people about his sexuality makes it easier to be himself. When they find out what you like, they tend to make it all about themselves. And I knew he hated having people go "you aren't interested in me are you?"

    I give him a kiss on the cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow. But I still cannot believe you let that bathroom get that disgusting."