Chapter 49

It took another month for court to allow an audience. Nevertheless, it would be a decisive audience. The lawyer Susan had recommended had been of great help despite always being honest in the way he always told them how these cases were hard to fight. He never gave up on them though and he finally was able to take the case to court. They had only one chance though, which left them too nervous. If it failed they would be back to Eric's sole decision and he was taking too long, in their opinion. Sessions continued. They were tested every week for substance abuse and came clean each time. They still visited Heaven every day and yet, Eric was irreducible in giving them their daughter's legal guardian back.

They arrived in the Municipal Court of Seattle together with their lawyer a little sooner than schedule so they could go through a few things. Though they had some witnesses in their favor, they all had arrived separately as orders given previously. They would all stay in a different room too, so they wouldn't be able to communicate right before the trial began. Chris and Ellie sat outside the courtroom destined to them, facing an immense dark hood door. They held hands but they were silent. Chris had taken his hoops off his ears thinking it would give a better impression. He even bought a pair of new black trousers and a buttoned shirt to lose a bit of his rebel style, and he tied his hair on a combed ponytail. Ellie put on a dress and braided her hair. Minor makeup on her face, though she had mascara and eyeliner. Their legs were bouncing. By their side, their lawyer was going through some papers, probably revising his questions and his defense.

"They are taking long." Chris commented. The lawyer raised his eyes from the papers he was reading and looked at him.

"They are preparing everything, Mr. Cornell." He said formally for the secretary was standing in front of the door waiting for orders to let them in.

"How many witnesses do the State have?" Ellie decided to ask. "Do you know?"

"Only Eric and your mother." He answered and they both opened their mouth in absolute surprise.

"Just them?" Ellie finally blurted and the man nodded. "Though I cannot believe my mother is going to testify against us..." She shook her head with an ironic smile on her face.

"She had to." The lawyer told her. "She is the one with Heaven's guardian now."

"Ellie..." Chris whispered and squeezed her hand to make her stop. Up until then, she was still not talking to her mother.

Suddenly, the door opened. The crack causing a tremendous echo in the large and empty and huge hallway. They got up from bench at the same time with the lawyer being the only one relaxed. Ellie and Chris were standing so straight it seemed like they were statues, but their hands still glued. They didn't let go of one another.

"Mr. and Mrs. Cornell." The secretary finally called in loud voice. "Mr. Christopher John Cornell and Mrs. Eleanor Rae Cornell."

"Here." The lawyer said approaching the middle-aged man. "Here are the court files and my ID." The secretary read everything carefully and then checked the ID's.

"You may all occupy your seats." He motioned a hand inside the courtroom.

It looked so impersonal and so cold. As they sat right in front of the judge's counter, Ellie started looking around. The ceiling was so high the lamps didn't seem to work. If it wasn't for the huge window on their left, it would be dark inside. The horrendous velvet curtain made her shiver. Everything was in wood. Wood boring color surrounded them. Cold, impersonal, and scary. She squeezed Chris's hand as she shivered again. Her heart started racing and she took a deep breath.

"Are you ok?" Chris whispered in her ear as he leaned over her.

"I am scared." She confessed, looking in his eyes.