Chapter 27

Ellie blinked a couple of times as she got her sleep disturbed with a stroller that was passing on the hallway. The sizzled of the wheels yanked her brain out of the resting mode and she became aware of the world around her once more. At the third attempt, she could finally keep her eyes opened and she stared at the white high ceiling above her head for a few seconds. Then, she yawned and raised her arms above her head, stretching her body, and that's when the sizzle of the wheels was replaced by a familiar tap on the huge window by the side of her bed. She turned her head to see the glass being showered with drops of water that tapped against it as gusts of wind drove the beads of water in its direction. It was raining on Christmas's Day but that was not novelty in Seattle. Her head was pounding a little, maybe because she had slept too many hours. The bedrooms went dark quite soon the night before and Chris had fallen asleep quite fast on the bed that was destined to those keeping the patients company. That's when she raised her head to see the bed in front of hers, but she found it empty. He was already up and she looked at the bathroom's door inside the private room. It was slightly opened and she heard the water running from inside.

"Chris?" She then called him. "Babe?"

Not even a second after, the door opened and Chris appeared in the bedroom with his hair tied in a major bun and his face all wet. Drops of water hanging from the tip of his nose and the trimmed beard on his chin and a towel in his hands.

"Hey!" He smiled as he approached her and before bending over her, he run the towel over his chin and lips and then kissed her. "Merry Christmas." He then whispered and pecked her again and Ellie laughed.

"You're wetting me!" She exclaimed and he stood straight beginning to run the towel over his face to get it dry.

"I was washing my face." He told her. "You were sleeping so well..." Chris added with a smile on his lips.

"Yeah..." She nodded as she sat on the bed. "... but a nurse passed on the hallway with one of these strollers and I woke up with the noise." Ellie explained.

"How are you feeling?" Chris asked, sitting on the bed, leaving the towel on it, and caressing her face.

"I feel well. My head is pounding a little but I think it's because I slept so many hours... and you?" Ellie asked him. "How are you? You didn't even talk last night..." She said, recalling Chris didn't want to talk about his encounter with his mother nor the attack that had drained him. Ellie understood it though.

"I am fine now." He smiled again.

"Really?" She insisted and he nodded. "Ok..." Ellie whispered. "That's all I want."

"Are you hungry?" Chris then asked. "Because a nurse came here to tell me to call her for breakfast. This is like a hotel." He chuckled.

"Not yet..." Ellie shook her head. "But if you are, then I can ring the bell here." She pointed at the button by the side of the bed.

"I'm good too. Maybe a little later." He told her.

"Did you sleep well, Chris?" Ellie asked him, enlacing her fingers with his. "I talked to you and you didn't respond so I know at some point you fell asleep but did you wake up in the middle of the night? This is what I mean..." Her eyes searched for his and he sly smiled at her and nodded.

"I had a great night. I promise." He added for he knew she would be worried. It was common for him to have trouble sleeping. "The bed is quite comfortable."

"I can't wait to go home." Ellie snickered. "I've had enough of this hotel." She rolled her eyes.

"You're perfect." He told her out of the blue, looking deep in her eyes and making her heart beat faster.