Chapter 15

Holding Chris's hand, Ellie began to pull him away from the dancefloor and guiding him back to the table where their friends were all siting and chatting merrily. On her way there, she looked back and found Brenda and Jerry still staring at one another like they didn't have anything to say and yet, she could tell how shocked they both were, even if Jerry knew Brenda would show up.

"They are not even talking!" Ellie retorted, looking up at Chris. "Chris..." She called for his attention seeing he hadn't reacted.

"They will." He told her, looking at her. "Let them be."

"Maybe I should go there." Ellie said looking back again and ignoring his last remark.

Chris stopped walking and pulled her to stop too. With his bloodshot eyes and dilated pupils, he looked in her eyes and Ellie giggled.

"You can barely keep your eyes opened." She smiled sweetly.

"My eyes are opened alright!" He giggled too. "Look..." He told her forcing his eyes opened.

"Are you sure?" Ellie teased him and he pulled her to him, kissing her lips.

"When I get home..." He said against her lips and then pecked her again. "... we are so waking up our neighbor." He laughed against her lips. "I'm so horny."

"We will see about that." Ellie pulled away to see him better.

Chris curled an eyebrow while studying her face. "Hey... what do you mean?" He protested after. "Ellie..." He made a face as if she had promised him something.

"Nothing..." Ellie smiled. Then, she raised her feet a little and kissed his lips. "I just think we have to wait and see the state of things when we get home."

"Are you doubting me?" He asked smirking. "I am capable, alright!"

"Well..." Ellie laughed.

"What?" He frowned not letting her finish. "I will argue against whatever you are going to say!" Chris laughed and then pecked her.

"Hey, Chris!" They heard Stone calling him and they turned their heads to look at him. "Do you wanna go outside?" He asked winking at the same time.

"Yeah..." Chris nodded and let go of Ellie, but she held his hand.

"Chris." She said his name, looking in his eyes.

"I am just having fun, babe." He said cupping her face between her hands. Chris noticed how serious she looked. "I am leaving in a few days." He argued.

"Remember that I cannot carry you home." She told him.

"I'm fine." He assured her and then started to laugh. Giggling all alone and for no reason.

Ellie smiled too, looking at him. "I can see how fine you are." She responded. "Actually I don't doubt that you feel fine. But your definition of fine and mine now are different."

He pointed his finger at her. "You go sit at the table with the rest of the gang and you leave them alone." He then pointed at Jerry and Brenda.

Ellie looked at Jerry and Brenda who seemed to start exchanging their first words. They looked so tense that it made Ellie's heart ache and Jerry looked completely sober all of a sudden. Brenda was nervous. Ellie could almost see her legs shaking. Her body language was one that was begging her to run away. Her heart ached so much for her friends that moment. Yet, their eyes locked on one another. Then, she looked back at Chris.

"They are hurting." She said, looking in his eyes.

"Maybe." Chris rested both hands on her shoulders. "But they need to talk, El." He bent over her and kissed her lips.