Chapter 46

Millie and Eric were reunited in one of the hospital's rooms to talk about Ellie and Chris. Ellie had started doing therapy with Eric ever since confessing her use of Prozac. The two doctors were seated in front of one another with two files opened in font of Millie as Eric explained all his notes and conclusions over the course of therapy with the couple. They were not doing it together though. They chose to do it separately and Eric agreed with was better as a start. Though, during their conversations, now that Ellie had joined the sessions, he was thinking about bringing them together at some point. He also instigated them to discuss therapy between them at home, to talk about it, for it would be another way of open up, healing and reconnect. Nevertheless, being a doctor and having both parents of a baby in therapy, another problem was brought up. A huge problem was brought up and Eric decided to meet with Millie because of it.

"Chris is not on pills anymore." Millie raised her hand from his file as she was reading and looked at Eric who was running a hand over his gray hair. "How is he doing?"

"He is cooperative." Eric leaned over the table, resting his two elbows on it, facing Millie who was reading some more information. "He says he has the occasional drink though..." He let it linger in the air and Millie looked at him again.

"If he says it's the occasional drink... Chris wouldn't lie, especially to Ellie." She affirmed. "He has told her first."

"It's still a risk." Eric said. "Ellie... is fighting it a little bit, if you know what I mean." Millie shook her head.

"It's only been two weeks for her." Millie pointed out and Eric nodded.

"It's still a bit hard, but she is not going over my prescription. Even today's tests showed it." He explained.

"I don't understand how my daughter chose this path." Millie retorted with failing voice. "She knows so much better than this..."

"Ellie suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, just like Chris." Eric told her. "Sometimes we don't notice it, Millie." He reached for her colleague's hand who he knew was feeling guilty for not noticing how badly her daughter was doing. "They hide it well. You know this."

"Chris is with her every day..." Millie whispered.

"Chris is battling his own demons." Eric affirmed. "It is not his fault."

"No..." Millie gave him a shy smile, shaking her head at the same time. "I am not blaming this on Chris. I know how he suffered... but he knows her so well that I find it so strange that he didn't notice she was self-medicating." Eric nodded.

"Ellie said she'd take it when he wasn't home or after he fell asleep." He explained. "They have their own ways."

"I am a doctor and I didn't notice..." Millie threw her back against the chair hopelessly. "How did I not notice anything?" He eyes searched for Eric's. "I should have notice it."

"Millie..." He held her hand again. "You can't blame yourself either!" Eric exclaimed and squeezed her hand a little. "Now, there's something quite delicate that we need to address..." Eric left the subject lingering in the air and Millie curled an eyebrow.

"What?" She asked him. "Are they separating? Because that will not help them at all..." She said immediately.

"No..." Eric shook his head. "In fact, since they're both in therapy the way Chris talks about her changed and her way has too. I think they might have become more aware of the feelings they have for one another. I think they are reconnecting somehow. Chris loves your daughter more than life itself. The way he talks about her is scary sometimes. To love someone the way he loves her scares me..." Eric smiled. "Ellie is the same, but somehow, this unfortunate incident that happened disrupted them both emotionally and then Ellie being a new mom, worrying about Chris, dealing with her own illness and the fear of dying... emotionally they have been through a lot these past months." Millie just nodded hearing him. "But I think it's dangerous at this point to leave their daughter alone with them." Millie's eyes went wide opened and she sat straight.