Chapter 24

“Well, well, well, so this is the reason you sent me away.” Each word that Desiree spoke was like little bits and pieces of acid being shot into my veins. This woman was pissed.

“Hello Desiree, good bye Desiree.” Logan said in a much clipped tone. When that man said hello and goodbye people normally scurried away. But not her.

“We need to talk. Maybe…” and just like that Logan interrupted her.

“Listen Desi,” Desi? He gave her a nickname? “I don’t want nothing to do with you and it is in your best interest that you leave if you, well that’s if you enjoy your career.”

He turned to walk away and he grabbed me by my hand when I felt like the world came it a stop.

“Logan,” She pleaded, “I’m pregnant.”

**

This is what happens when a woman gets her confidence back with a man of such power. What was I thinking?

In two weeks, I have lost 10 pounds. I haven’t been able to lose one pound in 10 years. I smiled brighter, I looked at the world differently. All of that down the drain.

After that little confrontation I lied to him and told him that I needed to go to the bathroom. I had to sneak out. I couldn’t face him nor listen to what he had to say. He told me that he hasn’t been with her. He told me that he had ended it with her.

He had been calling and sending text messages all night. Mel had called and I answered so that she wouldn’t be worried. I told her that I didn’t feel well and to tell Logan that I was ok.

I know that she could sense something had happened and something was wrong. I knew her and she knew me. We were like sisters, but she didn’t try to pry it from me.

The next day I went to Mom and Dad’s. I needed to with my children. They have gotten me through some tough times. This to me felt like a tough time.

“Mommy, I miss you.” Israel told me with arms wide open. “I missed you too, Isra! Have you been a good little boy?” I asked while kissing his little cheeks.

“Es ma’am.” He said with a giggle. He always giggled when I covered him in kisses.

Of course Emmanuel and Dorian thought that they were too big for kisses. I hugged them and kissed them anyway. A child is never too big for a kiss on the cheek.

“Sweetie how have you been? Would you like to stay for lunch?” my mom was always so kind and tender. She could also always sense when something was wrong.

“Sure mom. As long as you let me help.” I said a bit perkier. She smiled and ushered me into the kitchen. She was never the type to try and pry things out of me. She was always a shoulder for me to lean and cry on. My father on the other hand was the type to take action.

He never knew that Javier hit me. I always made up excuses for my bruises. I even went the extra mile to act clumsy while in their presence.

We enjoyed our lunch on the patio. It felt so good to be with people who loved me. People who had always accepted me.

When we got home I was shocked. There were more than ten dozen red roses outside of my door. Each card had a word on it. What. We. Have. Is. Special. Please. Answer. My. Calls. –Logan.

So it must be true. She must be pregnant by him. I knew better. I opened myself up and he hurt me.

The kids and I ordered pizza and watched movies the rest of the evening. I couldn’t explain to them the flowers. What do I say? Kids, mommy thought that she would possibly have a new boyfriend but he has broken my heart and now wants to apologize? No. I couldn’t do that.

When they asked I changed the subject. I took the cards and hid them in my room.

After the movie it was bath time and I needed to get their clothes ready for the week, just like I did every Sunday.

When I had finished my chores and was about to go to bed I heard a knock at my door.

Who could that be this late at night? I went to the door and opened it. Needless to say I was surprised by the man that stood at my door.