Chapter 35 -- The Basement

The battle of Shiganshina concludes, while we maneuver around the city. Armin remains unconscious, as Levi and I journey back to the top of the wall. "You're up!" Eren calls in pure excitement.

This captures our attention, as we near the top of the wall. Eren sprints towards Armin, before engulfing him in a hug. The titan shifter starts to tremble, having tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Armin, I'm so glad you're back."

Levi and I arrive at the top of the wall, before getting to our feet. "About time," says the captain. Armin nervously addresses him, while Levi approaches them, with his fists clenched. The blonde furrows his eyebrows in concentration, resting his hands on the blanket on his legs.

"What happened?" Armin asks worriedly. "I saw Bertholdt transform, but then everything gets kinda blurry." Levi stops a few feet away from them, as I take a few steps towards them. The blonde gasps before continuing, "Did we fight them off?! Is everyone okay?!"

"It seems that your recent memory was wiped out," Levi states, looking at Eren. "Eren, tell him everything." He fires a green smoke signal into the sky, as I stand next to the captain. As Eren informs Armin about what happened, the others rejoin us, with Connie, Sasha, and Jean sitting on boxes, while Hange and Mikasa kneel in front of Armin, and Floch keeps watch from a good distance away.

"Okay. Are you up to speed now?"

"Y-Yeah," he chokes out, trying to wrap his mind around what Eren just informed him. "W-We won... but about the scout regiment... there's only ten soldiers left alive...? The ten of us..." Sweat pours down his forehead, as I put my hands on my hips.

"That's what it looks like," Jean says in a serious tone. "The fighting ended four hours ago. We've been searching for survivors, but no luck." A momentary silence comes over the group, as the soft rustling wind blows against my hair.

Armin looks down. "So, to be clear," he begins. "We resealed Shiganshina's gate, securing Wall Maria. Reiner and the Beast Titan escaped, along with the quadruped pet. You managed to capture Bertholdt, and then with both the Commander and me wounded, you had to choose which one of us to give the injection to." His eyes widen, as tears form in them. "And, you did... I transformed into a titan and killed Bertholdt. I... ate him." His mouth quivers, before he starts to cough hysterically in order to throw up.

Jean stands up and approaches him, before extending out his arm, handing the blonde a bag filled with water. "Here," he murmurs. Armin reluctantly takes the bag and chugs it down, before breathing heavily.

"Why though...?" He chokes out. "Why'd you pick me...? N-No matter how you look at it... Commander Erwin's the one humanity needed the most." He looks over his shoulder at Levi. "Captain, why'd you give me the injection?"

Levi clicks his tongue in annoyance. "Hey," he says, kicking Eren in the back. "I thought I told you to tell him everything, Jaeger. There was a short debate." He puts his hand on his hip. "Your friends here argued that you were the one that we needed to revive. And, when I disagreed, they staged a little mutiny."

They lower their heads. "It's true... Punish us as you will..."

"You'll definitely be disciplined for your insubordination but getting punished isn't the same as making amends," Hange states, eyeing them carefully. I shift nervously and run a hand through my hair.

"I know."

Levi looks to the side. "Thing is, I was the one who chose to revive you in the end," he says. "Or no, it's more like I chose this to be the place where Erwin died." He crosses his arms, facing to the side and looking over his shoulder at them.