Chapter 4 -- The Scouts' Return

The next day, I casually stroll through the city. I only have a few extra minutes before my shift, so I planned to leave early and explore the city. "Heads up!" A voice calls. "The main unit of the scout regiment is back!"

My eyes light up as I hurry to see them. Commander Erwin leads the way on his horse, being deep in thought. "That's right, Commander Erwin!" A man yells. "Did you give those ugly bastards a thrashing?"

"Look! It's Captain Levi!"

I quickly turn my head in that direction, seeing Levi. He has short, straight black hair styled in an undercut curtain, as well as narrow, intimidating dull gray eyes with dark circles under them and a deceptively youthful face. While Levi is considered quite short, he's still an inch taller than me. His physique is well-developed in musculature due to his training as a small smile curves around my lips. Levi wears the survey corps uniform, having an emotionless look on his face.

"They say he's like an entire brigade by himself."

"Tsk. Spare me please."

I bite my lip, staring at him in astonishment. He's more handsome in person, I think to myself. My heart flutters inside of my chest as I continue to stare at him until he goes out of sight.

"Do you feel how excited everyone is?" A familiar voice questions as I turn around, being face to face with Eren, Mikasa, Armin, and two more cadets. "It's like the crowd has a different energy now."

"Well, we are going on five years without incident," the female cadet points out. "Seems like a good omen." I slowly approach them, standing right next to Armin. He stares at them, being deep in thought.

"And, you should check the cannon upgrades," the male cadet adds. "The sight alone should be enough alone to scare them off." I furrow my eyebrows in concentration. They're being way too overconfident.

"That's the truth."

"Are you in denial because you're a couple!?" Eren states, eyeing them suspiciously. "What's that about!?" I exchange a look with Armin as their cheeks flush in embarrassment. Armin chuckles to himself as I smile slightly.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, this isn't what it looks like, okay?"

"Knock it off, man. It's embarrassing."

"Hey, hey, what do we have here?" A familiar voice asks. I glance in that direction as Hannes approaches us. The male and female cadet take this moment to leave as a flicker of amusement forms on my face.

"Mr. Hannes."

"Word on the street is they let you graduate yesterday," he says arrogantly. "Either you've grown up or standards have plummeted." Eren meets his gaze as he smiles warmly, staring intently at Hannes.

"Oh, yeah. Like you're one to talk," Eren acknowledges, putting his hands on hips. "You used to be a drunk, but now you're the chief of the Corps of Engineers." Hannes snickers, jabbing his finger at Eren.

"Watch it." Hannes eyes him carefully. "I'm sorry if this is out of the blue, but I want you to know that your mom's death still haunts me." Eren's face falls as he sighs heavily. Mikasa stares worriedly at Eren as she subconsciously touches her scarf.

"Me too, but it wasn't your fault," Eren admits in a surprisingly calm tone. "It was shooting in the dark then, but nothing like that is going to happen again. We know what we're dealing with now." I arch a brow. Really, Eren? I would beg to differ.

I walk away, heading to my shift. Even though he wants to think that everyone's ready, Eren is gravely mistaken. Nothing can prepare them for what's about to happen. In a few minutes, the battle of Trost will commence.