Chapter 32 -- The Final Days Before the Battle to Retake Wall Maria

It has been two months since Historia's coronation. Rather than keeping herself within the comforts of the palace, she began her duties of taking care of the orphans and the needy, particularly the ones from the Underground City. As someone who was raised in that place, Levi supported her efforts and even attended meetings as means of coming up with plans to make the lives of the people better.

It didn't take long for the plan to commence, starting with the reservation of a large farm for the orphans and the needy. From there, the other members of the Levi Squad and I were tasked to bring in supplies and other necessities under Historia's watch. Because of that, people started to call the queen the "Cattle-Farming goddess", which was meant to be a compliment.

As for now, I unload a box of food supplies from the wagon. I walk with Mikasa, Sasha, and Connie over to the farm houses as a bunch of kids start pulling Sasha's hair and clothes while another child sticks her hand in Connie's mouth. I chuckle to myself as the kids maintain their distance from Mikasa and I. Even though they adore us, the children try not to disturb us while we're working.

Once I set the box of food inside the farm house, a large group of kids surround and tackle me to the ground. I yelp in surprise as they start to giggle. My face softens as I get to my feet. "Here comes the tickle monster," I say, holding up my arms and chasing them out of the farm house. I play with the kids for awhile before helping the others bring in more supplies.

On the way back to HQ, I ride in the back and think about the last few months. In order to be successful on our upcoming expedition, more weapons have been developed, and Eren's hardening ability has drastically improved. Even though everything seems like it's going according to plan, nobody can predict what will happen when titans are involved.

By the time it's dinnertime, I sit at a table with the other members of the Levi Squad, with Marlo being the exception and sitting with us. Jean, Armin, Eren, and I are on one side of the table while Marlo, Sasha, Connie, and Mikasa are on the other side.

While the others were discussing the upcoming expedition and recent achievements, I couldn't help but think about the events that were about to transpire. These events would drastically change the story. Erwin's death, the sacrifice of the majority of the Survey Corps, Levi's first confrontation with the beast titan, and the choice between Armin and Erwin.

"That's great!" Marlo states in a surprisingly cheerful tone. "We can win! With weapons like that, killing titans will be as easy as breathing!" I roll my eyes in annoyance and take a bite out of my bread, knowing that he's being too idealistic.

"You're too damn excitable," says Jean, who eyes him carefully. "You should know better than being this pumped about joining the scouts." I nod in agreement as Marlo furrows his eyebrows in concentration, seemingly confused about what he just said.

"That reminds me," murmurs Sasha, who has a bite of food in her mouth. "Didn't Hitch try to convince you to stay an MP?" I look at him as a small smile curves around my lips. They would've been so cute together, I think to myself.

"Wait, Hitch...? How come?"

Sasha's and Connie's cheeks turn bright red as toothy, wide grins form on their faces. "Because she's a thirsty girl and thinks you're a tall glass of water," the brown haired girl says in a teasing tone.

"Can't say I follow, but Hitch did tell me off before saying I wasn't cut out to be a real soldier," he responds as his face hardens. "She told me I should stop acting cool and just coast along in life. I thought she was better than that, so I told her I was wrong about her." I facepalm. How does this idiot not realize that she really cares for him!?

"Jerk."

"Are you really that dumb, Marlo?"

"No brain under that bowl cut."