31. Something Missing

Austria pov.

Early in the morning I stood next to Germany's door waiting for her. It's too early for my liking and I slowly get hungry, but I'll keep waiting for her to come out. No matter how annoying I'm to her I won't let her walk around on her own. I hope she's in a better mood than yesterday.

The door opened and Germany flinched as soon she saw me. Unsure she locked the door behind her. I silently waited until she turned to me. Before she could say anything I started to ask her, "So where will we go?"

Germany stood there confused not knowing how to response. Seconds passed by before she said, "I will go to look at all the evidence again. At first to China corpse. And what do you meant with 'we'."

"Well of course I won't let you walk alone and you need someone to help you walk." I explained and as expected her face turned sour. She always hated when someone babysit her. As hard as it was she had to accept it because I don't want for her to risk a livelong damage on her ankle.

Germany sighed," Alright. Let's go to the body." Surprised I responded, "So quickly? Don't you usually want to fight?"

"It's too early in the morning for me and I do need a little bit of help."

With a smile I let her arm hold on my shoulder and together we went to where the kitchen was. On the way I asked her, "How about we later take a visit to the infirmary. I want to see how Hungary is and knowing him he definitely sits there."

Germany gave a nod and spoke, "We could. I also planned for today to go and ask Poland a couple of questions."

"Will he answer them?" After all Germany did abused his trust. I don't believe Poland will answer to any of her questions.

"I don't know, but he knew Russia and I need as much information as I could get before I'll go to talk with her."

The door to the kitchen was seen. We stopped our talk and helped her to open the door. The kitchen was nearly empty except some cooks doing their job. We went straight to the fridge and I had to grimace as I saw the two corpses inside. China was completely pale. All the color he had was drained. Only a light pastel red color was seen. The blood on him and around was completely dried.

I will never get used to see dead peoples. Germany however looked very calm. With my help she sat down on one of the wooden boxes and pulled out her notebook from her pocket.

While she studied China's body I looked over to the second corps. Slovakia was laying next to China with a blanket covering her. For sure the workers of the ship carried her to the fridge, to prevent her from decomposing, but I don't think they would extra lay a blanket over her. I guess Hungary or Czechia went to give it to her as a last resort to give respect to her.

"I'm overlooking something." Germany mumbled to herself. She tapped her pen against her mouth in deep concentration. I looked over to her. "What are you thinking?" I asked her.

She stopped moving her pen and with her eyes still fixated on the body, she answered, "China's murder was planned. The murderer found the broken saw and used it to kill him, but the question is who and why. The body hasn't any bruises or sign of a fight. So without a doubt he knew the murderer. The murderer threw the weapon over board, but why they didn't throw the corpse with the weapon. They could cover it as an accident or suicide."

"Maybe he was too heavy?"

She shook her head and answered, "He's underweight. I remember how Poland mentioned how light he was. Pushing the body over the railing wouldn't be an issue, except the murderer was very weak."

"Maybe? Who are even the suspects?" I asked her slightly impatient. The cold air inside the fridge gave me goosebumps and I would love to leave this room, but Germany sat there too deep inside her thoughts to notice it.