Chapter 24

Stiles' POV

By the time everyone had calmed down and I had the chance to explain who Scott, Lydia, Liam, Malia and Kira were to me, the shadowhunters lead everyone inside so we could all talk. I could feel Alec's stare burning holes in my back. I didn't mean to throw him so hard. I just didn't want him to kill my brother, that's all. I didn't even know I had that much strength in me. I just saw black and lashed out, it felt like my emotions took control. Fear of losing someone else clouded my judgment.

Clary apologized to Scott profusely for not recognizing him, to be fair though, she hadn't seen Scott in years.

I chatted away to the pack as Izzy, Alec, Jace,  and Clary gave us some privacy to talk. Which I was extremely thankful for.

I explained to them my current predicament and they reluctantly agreed to not say anything but made me swear to them that I was going to tell Clary soon.

I had a moment to talk to them individually.

Lydia and I hugged. We talked and talked endlessly about everything she missed whilst brain dead and everything I had missed whilst grieving. It was a nice closure seeing Lydia fully functioning once more and not bed-bound inside of Eichen House.

Malia punched me on the shoulder for leaving her without a goodbye but hugged me straight after. She told me that even though we weren't together anymore, she would always be there for me. Malia opening up and being sweet is always refreshing because it doesn't happen often.

Liam was more timid than the others. They were all visibly walking on egg shells around me. Not wanting to trigger a memory or negative emotion. However, Liam was careful around his words which I appreciated as I knew it could be difficult for him to bite his tongue. He told me how much he missed me and how depressed Scott had been without his sidekick.

Kira had always been a big softy around me. I don't know if it's because her mum conjured the Nogitsune spirit that ended up somewhat possessing me or if she thinks of me to be more fragile than the others. Probably both. Either way, I appreciated the kind words and warm hugs.

By the time it came for Scott and me to have a chat, I could practically feel the anxiety rolling off him in waves.

"Hey, anxiety is my thing, not yours" I joked as I sat next to him on the couch he had been occupying the whole time the others and I were talking.

The others had gone to talk and -hopefully- make peace with the shadowhunters and Luke.

Scott lightly chuckled in response.

I knew what was eating at him. He's my brother. I've practically known him my whole life. Scott has a tendency to carry the world on his shoulders and not expect anything in return. He thrives as a leader and as a person, however, he thinks everything and everyone is his responsibility. Loss and mistakes are particularly hard on him because Scott somehow thinks he could've stopped or prevented them.

"Look, Stiles-" He started quietly.

"Don't Scott - " I cut him off softly, placing my hand on his shoulder so he would face me. "You might not believe this. But believe me. It wasn't your fault. My dad died the way he would have wanted to. A hero." I finish, looking Scott in his hazel eyes.

Scott nods his head and looks back to the carpeted floor of the Institute. There's silence for a while as we just enjoy each others company after missing it for so long.

"Where are you guys staying anyway?" I ask out of curiosity. Breaking Scott's train of thoughts that he'd been so intensely immersed in.