Chapter 9

Stiles decided to play dumb. "I told you, they're in London!" I say breaking eye contact with Alec. You can't expect me to look him in the eye and lie to him. Have you seen him? He looks like he could kill you with his pinky but would rather cuddle you to death... it's rather confusing actually. Should I be intimidated? Or fawn over the handsome man?"It's either they moved from Mexico to Thailand and then to London in the last five minutes or you're lying to me." He says, crossing his arms, still staring at me even if I won't return the gesture."I don't want to talk about it," I say quietly, hoping he'll just drop the subject.He sighs and walks over to the bed. He takes a seat next to me and looks to me again.This time, I look back at him.And I knew just by seeing his face that I'd have to tell him something - anything. He looks so innocent, curious and... worried?I sigh and feel myself deflate inside and out. I look down at my hands and begin to speak."8 years ago - give or take - my mother passed" I begin, already feeling my voice begin to shake, "she had frontotemporal dementia," I risk a peek at Alec but he just looks momentarily confused "It's a shrinkage in the brain that leads to dementia" I take in a shaky breath "..and eventually death." I feel Alec tense next to me.There was silence before I spoke up again."Before she... you know" I clear my throat and continue "the dementia... it messed with her head, she would get delusions and become paranoid." I feel my eyes start to blur ".. I was eight and I was watching her from beside the hospital bed while she slept. She was so peaceful" I feel a tear escape from my eye, I quickly wipe it away "When she woke up... she thought I was trying to kill her because of 'the way I looked at her'" I sigh and play with my fingers "She a... she hit me... I guess you could say that our final memories together weren't very happy" I finish.There's a few moments of just breathing and a few sniffles from me before Alec breaks the silence."Stiles -" He starts softly but is cut off by Clary rushing in the room, panic was written all over her face."Yous have to come tot he institute" She rushes before running out. Alec and I in quick pursuit.******************************************A brief explanation of how Simon is missing after being turned into a vampire and a pleasant car ride later, Clary and I catching up on a few things, laughing and talking, temporarily forgetting all supernatural problems. We are at a massive looking church in the middle of a cemetery.Clary, Alec and lastly I get out of the car and head up to the front door of the massive building. "Bloody hell," I say in shock, mouth agape as I look up at the huge, dull-looking church."You can see the institute too?" Clary asks. "Clary, I have many talents and skills" I joke, shooting her a 'duh' face before proceeding to reach for the door knob - only to be stopped by a strong hand holding mine back."They'll become suspicious if they see the new mundane," Alec says. Holding my hand..?"Right you take him through the back and we'll meet back up at -" Clary says but Alec is already pulling me behind the building."Alec...Alec...ALEC.." I shout when he doesn't answer me, ripping my hand out of his grip. He had been dragging me by my hand for ages like a leash on a dog.He stops and looks back at me with fierce eyes.Where the fuck did that come from?I take a step back, trying to create distance between us."You're scaring me.." He just stares at me...I can't be fucked with this right now..."Take a picture, It'll last longer," I say venomously, walking past him, making sure to bump his shoulder with mine for extra effect.But before I can get far he grabs my wrist and tugs me back a bit.I stumble back and turn around to face him when he lets go of my wrist."What the fuck Alec?" I say."Why do that?" He finally speaks up, harshness in his voice. I huff and look up to the sky."Why do I do that?" I ask to the clouds "I don't know what he's talking about either" I reply to no one."Who are you talking to?" I point to the clouds and look back at Alec."The clouds. Obviously." I say."THIS ISN'T FUNNY STILES!"He shouts."Do you see me laughing?" I say bluntly "'Why do that?'" I mimic him, putting on a masculine voice "Honestly, the clouds are the only ones making sense Alec," being frustrated, tired and hungry isn't helping to cheer me up "Do I look like a mind reader?" I ask gesturing towards myself "I honestly have no idea what you're on about Alec but whatever it is it doesn't give you the right to drag me about like a fucking dog" I spit out.He continues to stare at me and I stare back until he sighs and loosens his muscles and relaxes his shoulders."I just want to know why you pretend that everything is okay with Clary when you're obviously hurting Stiles. It angers and hurts me when you're pretending to be okay in front of Clary after what you've told me." He says.I sigh and take a step towards him."Look, What I told you happened years ago. It does still upset me, talking about it... but it's in the past. No offense Alec, but you don't know me. You know the sob story about how my mother died. That's all. You don't know what I've been through and hopefully, you'll never find out. So before you ask me questions, interrogate me, poke into my life, I want you to stop and think to yourself  'Is this any of my business?' 'Would I mind if someone was going through my past' and you certainly don't judge me and my coping mechanisms. If slapping pancakes whilst wearing a fireman suit is helping me cope I expect you to save the judgment and join in." I finish.He looks at me... but this time without the glare or intense vibe.He smiles and lets out a light laugh before walking over to me.... He pushes me into his chest and hugs me."Come on, we should find the others." he pulls back.It's a quiet walk around the institute, walking side by side. Both of us think about our own worries."Stiles?" Alec asks whilst stopping at the back door to the institute."Yeah?" I ask.He turns and motions to my wrist and hand."Sorry... about... y'know" he says.I snort at his choice of words and offer a reassuring smile. "It's fine Alec" He laughs "Yeah, It's gonna take a lot more than that to break you" he jokes and opens the back door, holding it open for me. If only he knew.