Chapter 5

Stiles' POV

I stare at Clary, my mouth agape.

"So" I start, still trying to get my head around the whole story.

"Your mum, who is a shadowhunter, was married to Valentine, your father, who was also a shadowhunter, until he went coo-coo and tried to kill all downworlders. So your mum ran away and took you and a magical cup with her and hid you from all things supernatural, until, you recently turned 18. Valentine found your mum and captured her for the magical cup. But she hid it and only you know where it is but really  you don't know where it is cause you lost your memories, so you are trying to find it so you can use it as a bargaining chip (of some sort) to get your mum back from your father, who's name is weird." I finish, taking a breath. 

Clary looks like she's still processing what I said. And I can practically feel Alec rolling his eyes from behind my back.

"Pretty much" She answers finally.

I sigh and lay back down on the bed and close my eyes, thinking...

What does this mean...

I'm obviously going to help but I don't want to work in a team cause let's face it, everyone who's ever fought the supernatural with me is either dead or on their way. AND let's not forget the fact that I'm mentally unstable and I'll be having panic attacks every minute.

But I really need to talk to Jocelyn and tell her about my father, I obviously can't tell Clary until she (at least) gets her mother back, she's got far too much going on right now, she doesn't need my peasant problems as well. 

SO NO TELLING ANYONE ABOUT MY PROBLEMS.

And don't even get me started on Alec and his 'Institute' of shadowhunters. I don't know them, I don't like them and I certainly do not trust them.

Clary, maybe. But no one else.

So if I'm going to help find Jocelyn then I'm going to do most of it myself.

I just need them off of my back for a while.

I hear Alec clear his throat, trying to gain my attention.

That stupid, sexy good-for-nothing... 

Sighing, I sit up and try to get out of bed. I must've been lying down forever because I honestly can't feel my legs.

I grab the edge of the seat and haul myself up off the bed. Still holding onto the chair for support, I turn to Clary and Alec,

"I'll help" I state.

I try to take a few steps and balance until I'm walking normally.

"No offence cousin, but how could you help us?" Clary asks carefully,

I snort and turn to her,

"I think with a few years of supernatural knowledge and my brain, I could contribute a fair deal of help onto this mission."

As soon as that sentence left my mouth, I could see the suspicion on Alec's features... very... attractive... featu- FOCUS STILES!

I walk over to my suitcase, lift it up and place it on my bed,

"We don't need your help," Alec starts but I cut him off before he can finish.

"I don't see Jocelyn anywhere." I shoot at him whilst digging through my case, looking for clean clothes. I knew he would protest.

"We don't need your help, I've got everything under control" Alec argues,

"And by under control you mean" I turn to face him "the cup still missing, Jocelyn still gone, Clary still without her memories and Valentine still out there." I finish, grabbing my clothes and walking into the bathroom to change, closing and locking the door behind me.

~30 minutes later~

I come out showered and dressed to find no one but me in the room.

I walk over to my suitcase and place my dirty clothes inside, taking out my laptop I walk over to the desk and chair at the corner of the room and set myself and laptop down. 

     Picking up a post-it note Clary left which read;

            'Alec and I will be back tonight, Don't leave the hotel or talk to anyone and please eat something Stiles. 

~Clary'

I snort and crumble up the note and throw it over my shoulder.

I start up my laptop.

I had time to think in the shower about possible leads and I think I will need to talk to Luke Garroway. The man that took over Valentine's role of 'loving husband' and 'great father'.

I remember him from when I was a kid. Him, Jocelyn and Clary (sometimes even Simon) would visit in the summer and he was really cool.

I wonder what he is. A shadowhunter too?.. Maybe.

Only one way to find out.

*********

After a couple hours of chronic back pain (this chair is not a comfortable piece of furniture) and research that would put the FBI, CIA and any 'shadowhunter institute' to shame, I have an address.

Writing down the address on my hand, I shut my laptop and jump from my seat.

I take out a hoodie from my bag and double-check my phone has charge, slipping my wallet into my back trouser pocket I break the first of Clary's two rules;

'Don't leave the hotel'

*********

Two coffees and an expensive taxi ride later, I'm finally at the address to where I am supposed to find Luke.

A Chinese restaurant.

...

I could use something to eat...

Taking a deep breath, I enter the shop.

Oh.