Chapter 10

Stiles' POV"I think it's best if we let Simon be..." Jace suggests carefully, glancing over at Clary for her reaction. We were all hid away in Clary's bedroom, away from prying ears. "I mean... I think it's best you leave him be for a while" Jace directs at Clary, knowing he's going to regret saying that as she glares at him."What is that supposed to mean? I'm not leaving him out in New York as a newly turned vampire, alone and scared. He needs someone that's close to him to get through this" she argues.I push off against the wall I'd been leaning on and walk over to where Clary and Jace were having a standoff. Jace turns to look at me and Clary follows."I agree with Clary" I start, Clary smirks at Jace, but before I can finish he cuts me off"Your opinion is biased, Clary's you're-" Jace begins."BUT" I shout over him, earning everyone to fall silent and the shadowhunters to tense a bit at my tone."I also agree with Jace" I finish in my normal tone. Clary gasps and looks at me with betrayal but Jace just stares, confused."Someone close to him should be looking for him and -when we find him- should be there through his transition" I look over to Clary "But not you Clary, me".She gapes and I can feel the tension build in the silence."He's my best friend," She says venomously "I should be the one to bring him back." She says, voice cracking." Clary, you made a big decision, turning him into a vampire. It was the right thing to do but he isn't going to see it that way right now. So I'm going to find and help him and while I'm doing that you can carry on with the search for your mother, Okay? I've got this." I try to smile reassuringly. She sighs and nods yes as she walks out the room, knowing that I'm right she doesn't argue any further. Jace faces me and nods in a 'thank you' kind of way before following Clary, probably to comfort her."I'm going to show my face around the institute so people don't get suspicious, it was nice seeing you again," Isabelle says before giving me a quick hug and walking out.I walk to the corner chair and grab my jacket that I placed on it earlier and shrug it on."I'm coming with you," Alec said from the corner of the room.I turn to him and shake my head. "I have to do this alone," I say before making my way towards the door."No, you don't." He says, walking in front of the door, blocking my path."Simon won't like you being there," I say, crossing my arms over my chest defiantly."When we find him I'll leave you two time to yourselves but it's too dangerous for you to be going out alone." I sigh in defeat, "fine" I say before walking out. Alec on my trail.******************When we entered Simons room I didn't expect him to be there so I wasn't disappointed that he wasn't here. But, I was rapidly growing more and more concerned.I walk over to the broken mirror and scan the damage. Alec hangs back and watches me curiously.I walk over to his desk that's been snapped in half and crouch to the floor, seeing the computer monitor light flash, I nudge the mouse that's lying next to it on the floor and it comes to life. It opens to a page related to some sort of vampire research; symptoms and cures.I sigh and stand from my crouching position, walking over to the bed, Alec watching my every move. "What do you think happened?" Alec asks."Signs of struggle indicate a fight" I state, glowering at the bedsheets."With who?" Alec asks, walking over to me in concern."Himself," I say before reaching down and tearing the duvet from the bed and dropping it to the floor.Alec and I both look down at the children's book lying in the middle of Simons bed."How'd you know that was there?" Alec asked whilst I picked up the book and examined it."Simon is very OCD about his bed sheets, It's a pet peeve of his. He would never sleep on a lumpy mattress nor a lumpy duvet when we were kids." I say before the message that Simon was trying to get across clicked."This was for me..." I say, finally recognising the book. Turning to Alec "I know where he is" I say before walking out of Simon's bedroom.**********************"Care to tell me where we're going?" Alec huffed in annoyance.I sigh but continue walking down the dark street, trying to remember where exactly it was..."When we were younger, Simon and I used to argue about which book was better, this one," I say holding up the children's book that was in my hand "Or, his favourite, 'Goosebumps'. One day, we came across a dodgy looking shed in one of the alleyways near Clary's when we were playing hide and seek. We thought it had a goosebumpy vibe to it. So it became our secret hide-out." I round a corner and come faced with a familiar alley. "Not even Clary knew about it." I finished, rounding the last corner."Is that it?" Alec asked while walking in front of me, motioning me with his hand to stay behind him as he draws an arrow from his quiver and sets it on his bow, steadily walking closer to the beaten down shed."That's it," I confirm. Following closely behind.As we walk closer to the shed, a scratchy voice cuts us off."Who's there?" the voice seemed to be on edge, definitely Simons, though.I place a hand on Alec's shoulder, indicating him to back off. As he does so, I walk up to the shed and steadily open the door."Hey, buddy." I greet with a small smile, looking down at a bloody and dirty Simon crouched on the floor.He looks up and smiles faintly, revealing his newly found vampire teeth."You got my message... you came" His voice cracked at the realisation of someone actually caring.I crouched down in front of him and offered the strongest smile I could."Of course I came Simon, I'd never leave you..."